Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Comments on my bock recipe?  (Read 2903 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Comments on my bock recipe?
« on: March 17, 2021, 02:44:12 pm »
So, for the 23rd anniversary of my first batch on Fri. I'm gonna brew a bock.  Don't think I've ever made one before.  I'm basing it on what I have here since I won't be going to the LHBS before brewing.  Comments appreciated, and I'll be happy to explain my choices if anyone wants to hear.

OG 1.072 25 IBU

16 lb. Mecca Grade Metolius (basically a dark Munich)
4 lb. Mecca Grade Pelton (pils)
4 oz. Special B
2 oz. Midnight Wheat
Mash at 155

2.7 oz. Hallertau Mitt 3.7% AA - 60 min.
1 oz. Hallertau Mitt 3.2% AA - 15 min.

WY Munich lager II

Lemme have it....

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Comments on my bock recipe?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 03:10:38 pm »
This is cool. I come up with recipes based on what I have on hand quite often.

The choice of Special B is interesting but I think it will work well here.

Go for it, man. It will be great of course.  Cheers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 03:43:29 pm »
Looks a rather conventional recipe, I bet it will be delicious. I don't think my palate would be able to discern only 4oz of Special B against all that dark munich maltiness, but it's not out of place. Save me a half-liter.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 03:57:08 pm »
Thanks to you both.  Pretty much every recipe I looked at for reference had caramunich and Spec B is as close as I've got on hand.  Thought about adding some rye, but I'm about to keg a rye APA so I figured I'd play it straight on this one.  Spec B has such a strong flavor that I decided I'd rather be light than heavy.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 04:01:42 pm »
That looks very much in the right ballpark to me Denny. Pretty similar to the recipe I developed for our club to brew last year and it turned out delicious and definitely on target for style. It seems that in using the ingredients on hand you're making small substitutions for what might be a tad more traditional - should be tasty nonetheless.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 04:03:21 pm by ravenwater »
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 04:13:51 pm »
That looks very much in the right ballpark to me Denny. Pretty similar to the recipe I developed for our club to brew last year and it turned out delicious and definitely on target for style. It seems that in using the ingredients on hand you're making small substitutions for what might be a tad more traditional - should be tasty nonetheless.

Yeah, Drew said he wouldn't use the Spec B because it ws Belgian (and he doesn't care for it).  I don't care if it's traditional or not.  I mean, I have Mecca Grade malt in there!  What I want is tasty and something to counterbalance all the IPA I have on hand.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 04:48:48 pm »
I wouldn’t use the Special B as well. With all of that Metilious (Munich) it will be a rich, malty beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 05:40:47 pm »
I wouldn't use special B ...

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 06:28:03 pm »
I don’t think the special b will hurt but I wouldn’t use it either. Seems very close to doppel strength. Do it.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 07:32:57 pm »

I don’t think the special b will hurt but I wouldn’t use it either.

Same here. I'd be more likely to use sub in something like C60 in place of the CaraMunich if needed. Special B is pretty distinctive. I don't doubt it will be good, but if it were my bock I'd go with a different crystal.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 07:24:16 am »
What's your batch size, a quarter pound of Spec B (what, ~1%?) doesn't seem like it would be that out of place...IMO. Being the only Caramel malt, with plenty of Munich base to be the main component seems you will be getting just what you are looking for, maybe leaning a bit more Dopplebock.

I would have thought maybe a lower mash temp? Never brewed a Bock myself, just might need to some day.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 08:26:04 am »
What's your batch size, a quarter pound of Spec B (what, ~1%?) doesn't seem like it would be that out of place...IMO. Being the only Caramel malt, with plenty of Munich base to be the main component seems you will be getting just what you are looking for, maybe leaning a bit more Dopplebock.

I would have thought maybe a lower mash temp? Never brewed a Bock myself, just might need to some day.

7.5 gal. batch size.  I think Ill leave the Spec B in just to see.  And Im actually thinking of maybe raising the mash temp a bit

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

Comments on my bock recipe?
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 06:21:38 pm »
As a reference point:  There’s a Traditional Bock recipe in the brewing book the Brits refer to as “the Bible*” that has Special B in it.  It has 350 gram (12 oz) in a 23 liter (6 gal) batch.

*Home Brew Beer: Master the Art of Brewing Your Own Beer.  Greg Hughes.  pg 92

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 07:25:57 am by BrewBama »

Offline jverduin

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 06:10:34 am »
So, for the 23rd anniversary of my first batch on Fri. I'm gonna brew a bock.  Don't think I've ever made one before.  I'm basing it on what I have here since I won't be going to the LHBS before brewing.  Comments appreciated, and I'll be happy to explain my choices if anyone wants to hear.

OG 1.072 25 IBU

4 oz. Special B
2 oz. Midnight Wheat
Mash at 155

WY Munich lager II

Lemme have it....
I’ve brewed a variety of bocks over the years and for traditional and doppelbocks have gone with and without any crystal. I tend to prefer a small presence vs none at all. I’ve mostly used caramunich at the 60ish L range, but between 8 and 16 ozs in a 5G batch. I think that smaller amount of Special B will add some character, but should blend nicely with the Munich malt character. I don’t think it would stand out as odd. This style does have more breadth to it than what it would seem when choosing malts.

Go for it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 08:49:20 am »

OG 1.072 25 IBU

4 oz. Special B
2 oz. Midnight Wheat
Mash at 155

WY Munich lager II

Lemme have it....
I’ve brewed a variety of bocks over the years and for traditional and doppelbocks have gone with and without any crystal. I tend to prefer a small presence vs none at all. I’ve mostly used caramunich at the 60ish L range, but between 8 and 16 ozs in a 5G batch. I think that smaller amount of Special B will add some character, but should blend nicely with the Munich malt character. I don’t think it would stand out as odd. This style does have more breadth to it than what it would seem when choosing malts.

Go for it.

Thanks, I did!  Mashing in in about an hour.

www.dennybrew.com