Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hopped coffee  (Read 1231 times)

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
Hopped coffee
« on: October 30, 2019, 07:06:00 am »
I seen an add for hopped coffee from some place in Colorado. Has anyone tried this, I wonder how bitter it is.
www.oldtownspiceshop.com/collections/hopped-up-coffee
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Hopped coffee
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 10:05:29 am »
I haven't tried it but as a coffee nut, I certainly would.  My main reservation would be that any hop addition would get in the way of the coffee aroma, which is essential to a good cup of coffee, IMO.
Still, a Chocolate Stout Coffee sounds like it would be right in my wheelhouse.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 09:36:28 pm »
I haven't tried it but I thought the hopped coffee was closer to a dry hopped coffee than a boil addition hopping.

As homebrewers with easy access to grain there is very little stopping you from putting together a small batch of grain for a recipe like a stout and milling it into your coffeemaker along with ground coffee.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline mtsoxfan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 04:16:50 pm »
I grow my own hops, and have a good problem. They produce much more than I can brew with. I've been doing experiments with making a hop simple syrup. This used in coffee, if you use sugar like me, would work to hop it up.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 04:45:36 pm »
I grow my own hops, and have a good problem. They produce much more than I can brew with. I've been doing experiments with making a hop simple syrup. This used in coffee, if you use sugar like me, would work to hop it up.
Wow, hopped simple syrup is something I never heard or thought of, but a whole lot  of possible applications come to mind beyond coffee (I'm a little skeptical of the coffee idea I'll admit.)  Cocktails, of course, but how about various sweet and savory culinary uses:  salad dressings, compotes, sauces, marinades, really anything that could take citrus juice or zest or a botanical infused oil or vinegar.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 09:14:24 am »
Rob, I agree. This is a very interesting idea. It could work. I’m not completely sure about hops and coffee since we’re talking bitter and bitter. But with low temp infusion, no bittering. It could work that way.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline mtsoxfan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 09:47:07 am »
Robert, that was my original intent, use for cocktails as well as in food. I was given a bottle of white rum, Barcardi, and not a fan. I wanted to use simple syrup in that, still testing out different quantities/varieties of hops to get what I think would work.

Offline JoanMCD

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 04:44:46 am »
I would like to try this coffee. I wonder if such coffee is sold in my city...