Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SS garage sink for homebrew  (Read 2875 times)

Offline MadZack

• 1st Kit
    • madzack.com
SS garage sink for homebrew
« on: March 17, 2019, 07:45:59 pm »
I'm finally getting around to having plumbing installed in our garage (erm, my brewhaus...) so I can do my cleanup in there, instead of having to lug stuff into the kitchen...

Any recommendations?  I don't want a cheap "home depot special" plastic laundry/utility sink, I'm looking for a stainless steel sink, preferably at least 24" on a side (preferably even more, like 30x24).

I could also use recommendations for a commercial-style faucet with sprayer (and plenty of clearance).

My head's getting full from trying to research this kind of stuff, and I figure y'all have likely been down this road, so hoping to pick some brains from folks who have done a similar install...

Thanks in advance!
madzack.com
Purveyors of fine ales, ciders and meads for the discerning post-apocalyptic survivor...

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: SS garage sink for homebrew
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 04:48:48 am »
I'm finally getting around to having plumbing installed in our garage (erm, my brewhaus...) so I can do my cleanup in there, instead of having to lug stuff into the kitchen...

Any recommendations?  I don't want a cheap "home depot special" plastic laundry/utility sink, I'm looking for a stainless steel sink, preferably at least 24" on a side (preferably even more, like 30x24).

I could also use recommendations for a commercial-style faucet with sprayer (and plenty of clearance).

My head's getting full from trying to research this kind of stuff, and I figure y'all have likely been down this road, so hoping to pick some brains from folks who have done a similar install...

Thanks in advance!

Look for a local restaurant supply store. Also look for restaurant equipment auctions.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 07:37:29 am »
The only advice I have, which is obvious really, is to measure your largest pieces of equipment that you currently lug into the kitchen and ensure any sink you buy will accommodate that diameter (to include external appendages).  The sink doesn’t really have to be super deep as long as the water spigot gooseneck and/or sprayer hose allows top clearance.  A restaurant style stainless utility sink would be awesome.

My next upgrade will be a spray nozzle in my brewhaus for the same reason you give for not wanting to lug stuff around. I brew in my laundry room where there is a “slop sink” available which is extremely convenient. However, it is too narrow at the bottom so it won’t allow the girth of my boil kettle.  All other pieces of equipment I want in the sink fit fine but I would like to clean everything in the brewhaus. I have to do BK final cleaning in the next room (kitchen) where the kettle still won’t fit in the sink but at least I can set it on the counter with the output valve over the sink and use the spray nozzle to fill/scrub/rinse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 07:59:47 am »
I don't want a cheap "home depot special" plastic laundry/utility sink,

Not all plastic laundry sinks are created equal.  I have a "Durastone" Utilatub from E. L. Mustee Co., available from plumbing supplies.  They are super heavy duty and come in various sizes (mine is 18" x 18", but that works for me -- I did select the size based on brewing equipment;) lagged into the basement wall, I could stand in it and jump up and down.  (Seriously, and I'm not a skinny boy.)  Could be an alternative if SS is prohibitive.

That said, I heartily agree with the advice to go to a restaurant supply or auction.   Restaurant supply store is my go to for brewing equipment.

If you do go with a restaurant style sink, and have room, why not make life even easier and get a two-basin sink, so you can soak or sanitize and scrub/rinse separately?   Add the overhead sprayer, and you're really in businesses.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:07:30 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 08:07:02 am »
We have a place here that takes construction leftovers and resells them.  I picked up a SS sink for $25 that would have been hundreds new.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 09:09:29 am »
I have a big box store slop sink in my brewery to wash small things like brewing spoons gaskets ball valves etc.  Since I use keggles for brewing, I CIP them with PBW and clean my RIMS and transfer pumps, in-line screen, and chiller at the same time.  This works well for me.

However, SS is the better way to go and I wish I had a dual tub sink that I could drain stuff in.  But with the size of my brewery, I would lose valuable storage space for things like caustic, sanitizer, and .yeast flasks.  Others have given you good sources for SS sinks so you should be able to find what you need pretty easily.

Regarding a spray nozzle, I use the brass quick disconnects from the big box store and just connect a hose with a spray nozzle to the sink faucet.  It really comes in handy and you can easily connect or disconnect the hose from it.  Just some additional ideas that may save you some money.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 10:52:29 am »
unless you can find a used SS one, you're going to pay $$$. What's wrong with something other than SS?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MUSTEE-BigTub-40-in-x-24-in-x-33-in-Polypropylene-Floor-Mount-Utility-Tub-in-White-28F/203579705
Phoenix, AZ

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 03:57:20 pm »
I'd check Craigslist for a sink.  It's been awhile since I looked, but when I had dreams they were often fueled by Craigslist finds...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 07:08:28 pm »
May I suggest a hose bib under the sink? I think a commercial spray head at the sink is nice, but having the ability to connect a real hose somewhere is awesome. I can connect one in my kitchen and always have one connected in my brew garage.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
SS garage sink for homebrew
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 09:50:20 pm »
Here’s mine. Double sink is the bomb. To the right out of sight in this photo is a utility/camping table about the same height as the sink where I stash a bottle tree, and stuff. Above the sink I made a rack which holds fermenters, hoses, etc to dry.

The faucet has a diverter at the sink, which sends water to the sprayer. It was kinda pricey but well worth it.  I stand the cone of a 12 gallon SS conical in there using a modified bucket as a base, and get every nook and cranny cleaned with the spray head which is on something like a 6-ft. hose. On the faucet itself is installed an adapter that’s used for portable dishwashers ‘n stuff, for which I use a quick-connector and 3/8” or 1/2” hoses if I need a physical connection to something.

Lastly, because our basement is below where the sewer drain leaves the house, our plumber installed a pump which sends drain water up to the standpipe behind the washing machine.

Overall best improvement to my brewing and cleaning operation, hands down. I think the sink was about $400, Eagle brand from some place in NYC. The faucet $250, from a different place. I bought them both about 6-8 years ago and had them shipped to my plumber in Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 10:09:58 pm by smkranz »
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline JoanMCD

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 04:10:26 am »
How much did it cost to put a sink in a garage? I'm going to install plumbing in the garage, too, and I'd like to know how much money I'll have to spend. I inherited this garage from my grandfather and I really want to upgrade it. In the meantime, I'm going to turn to the guys who will do a power washing of the walls from mold and old paint. After that, I will do the transformation of this garage and only last of all I'm going to start installing the necessary equipment there. It's going to take quite a while because this garage is really in bad shape but I hope I can do it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:20:36 am by JoanMCD »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 07:13:22 am »
One thing I would like add here.  When I built my brewery in a reclaimed part of our old garage (it's heated so I don't have to brew in an unheated area in the winter), I installed a "raw water" spigot in addition to hot and cold "soft" running water.  Since I am on a well, I did not see the need to use softened water to cool my beer after the boil.  It saves me money on salt and protects my plate chiller from high levels of sodium.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 07:39:35 am »
I was just talking to a local restaurant equipment company. Part of their business is buying out closed restaurants used equipment and reselling. Obviously with covid they have plenty of supply and very little demand so there are probably good deals available and they could use the business. Also a good time to score deals if you are looking for large kettles, strainers, etc.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 08:46:58 am »
I have a dual well SS sink in my garage brewery.  I went to a contractor friend who was doing a kitchen remodel and it didn't cost a cent.  Something to consider if you know someone like that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 09:07:02 am »
You guys have it good.  I am happy to have a sillcock in my brewing garage area to hook to a hose and wish I had a floor drain!  But I do have a 220V heater hung from the ceiling...so it could be worse.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"