Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Paging passenger Saccharomyces, please report to the yeast subforum concourse...  (Read 2802 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Thank you so much, I purchased some k-97 it was on sale and may I ask what you didn't like about it?

Are you talking about an area uo in the poconos of the same name?

Grew up fishing the water gap with my dad before we moved to the deep south, what a wonderful area

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Thanks for sharing that.  I like the look of it although I do not have Bravo in the brewery at the moment so I would sub with something neutral.  Glad your experience with BRY-97 is good... I have it running in an "American Wheat" right now for the first time ever and it would be cool to get a couple more batches out of it.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
That recipe might work with some Mexican Lager yeast also. Cream Lager.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
I was doing the old school 6-row and flaked corn wlp-001 and hallertau

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Very nice!!

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Wyeast 2112 and Wyeast 2035 descend from the same yeast strain; namely, the Christian Schmidt strain, so either strain should work in the sixties.  A cream ale is very close to a CAP.  I personally prefer a CAP.  A CAP fermented with Wyeast 2035 can be an amazing beer, but Wyeast 2035 can be a polarizing yeast strain.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Thank you so much, I purchased some k-97 it was on sale and may I ask what you didn't like about it?

Are you talking about an area uo in the poconos of the same name?

Grew up fishing the water gap with my dad before we moved to the deep south, what a wonderful area

I got sulfur from the yeast. Surely it was something I did but I’m hard pressed to pinpoint what. I pitched at about 76F, cooled to 65 and then let it sit at about 68 for 2 weeks.  It was one packet into 3 gallons of 1.048 wort so maybe this speaks to the overpitch issue??  It was the only time I ever detected sulfur in a beer, and considering I only brew ales it was an eye opener for sure.  Taste was fine, just couldn’t get past the aroma.  My guess is that I needed to get down into the upper 50’s low 60’s.

Yes Wallenpaupack Brewing is on Lake Wallenpaupack in Northeast PA.  Beautiful area.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 04:55:16 pm by Megary »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Thanks for sharing that.  I like the look of it although I do not have Bravo in the brewery at the moment so I would sub with something neutral.  Glad your experience with BRY-97 is good... I have it running in an "American Wheat" right now for the first time ever and it would be cool to get a couple more batches out of it.  Cheers.

I don’t remember Bravo being a must, so [Insert your favorite bittering hop here] should be fine.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Possibly useful....

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-2-crushable-cream-ale

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/recipes/i-dream-jenny-cream-ale

I have listened to both of those, very good stuff.

Brewing I Dream of Jenny has been on my to-do list for a long time.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
...Wyeast 2035 can be a polarizing yeast strain.

Can you explain why?  Genetically this yeast is almost identical to W-34/70 which a million brewers on the internet seem to love.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Can you explain why?  Genetically this yeast is almost identical to W-34/70 which a million brewers on the internet seem to love.

Wyeast 2035 groups with W-34/70 via an ancestor strain, but it is definitely not a perfect clone of W-34/70.  I has a distinctive ester and higher alcohol profile.  Plus, 2035 produces diacetyl at a much higher level than W-34/70. W-34/70 is fairly neutral when compared to Wyeast 2035.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 08:26:46 am by Saccharomyces »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Yeah, I have never thought 2035 and 2124 (34/70) were similar.  I have only used 2035 when trying to replicate something similar to Yuengling Traditional Lager and I like its character and it seems very close to what is used in the commercial version.

Mark, one more question:  Do you use a tool/calculator/site to determine how much slurry (or fresh yeast) to use in a given batch based on batch size, yeast strain, gravity, etc?  In the old days there was MrMalty.com which may still be around but I thought I looked for it recently and couldn't find it or else the calculator was not working properly.  I make a lot of 5% lagers and I use a lot of the same strains:  Omega Bayern, 2124, 940 are very common here.  Outliers are 2308/838, Diamond and 2278.  Cheers and thanks again. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living

Wyeast 2035 groups with W-34/70 via an ancestor strain, but it is definitely not a perfect clone of W-34/70.  I has a distinctive ester and higher alcohol profile.  Plus, 2035 produces diacetyl at a much higher level than W-34/70. W-34/70 is fairly neutral when compared to Wyeast 2035.

Thanks for that data.  You are correct, these are technically not identical but are more like 3rd cousins or something akin to that.  I have never used 2035, so if I can get my hands on any, I'll play around with it to see if I get similar results.

Yeah, I have never thought 2035 and 2124 (34/70) were similar. 

Ah, but 2124 is not even remotely related to 2035 or W-34/70.  Genomic testing shows that 2124 is more closely related to 2206 as well as... WLP029 Kolsch!  And these groups are on branches quite distant from one another.  Ref: http://beer.suregork.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Brewing_yeast_tree_Oct_2019.pdf
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster

I got sulfur from the yeast. Surely it was something I did but I’m hard pressed to pinpoint what. I pitched at about 76F, cooled to 65 and then let it sit at about 68 for 2 weeks.  It was one packet into 3 gallons of 1.048 wort so maybe this speaks to the overpitch issue??  It was the only time I ever detected sulfur in a beer, and considering I only brew ales it was an eye opener for sure.  Taste was fine, just couldn’t get past the aroma.  My guess is that I needed to get down into the upper 50’s low 60’s.

re: k-97, i fermented it around 50F and it was super clean, definitely not mistakeable for a lager, but just really clean. i detected zero sulfur aroma at any point. muted hop flavour and aroma though and it is permanently hazy unless you let it sit for a very very long time. i wish people wouldn't discount k-97 so much.