Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Riverbend Malt House  (Read 2049 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Riverbend Malt House
« on: March 22, 2021, 01:15:25 pm »
Has anyone tried any of the malts from Riverbend? I came across them on craftmalting.com and figured I'd try them out. I haven't brewed with them yet, but I did chew on each of them when I got them in. Everything seemed to have just a bit of extra depth of flavor compared to similar malts I've used from other maltsters. The ones I have are:

Southern Select - this is a 2-row that to my palate sits somewhere between Pale malt and Pale ale malt. I wouldn't say that it tastes like Golden Promise, but it seems like it would occupy the same space in my toolbox. I will probably brew a bitter with this as the base malt in the near future.

Heritage - this is a 6-row that is kilned somewhere between a Vienna and Light Munich. The kernels taste phenomenal. I'm using some in an American Wheat, but I could see this paired with some corn to make a killer lager.

Appalachian Wheat - I could eat this one by the handful. It's kilned a bit higher than wheat malt typically is, and it has boatloads of flavor; like taking a bite out of a well-made loaf of bread. This one is going in my American Wheat as well.

I'll post more when I actually brew with them, but I have to admit that I'm pretty excited to try them out.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Riverbend Malt House
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 01:36:59 pm »
Where did you buy this malt?

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 01:40:36 pm »
Sounds nice. How were the prices?

Scroll through this list of maltsters: https://craftmalting.com/craft-malt-finder/
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 02:21:23 pm »
So glad you found that useful!  The pod coming out Wed. has an interview with the director of the Craft Maltsters Guild and a LOT more info about craft malt.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 05:57:17 pm »
Where did you buy this malt?
Ashville Brewer's Supply. I didn't see any of the big online shops listed on the craft malting site, so I just picked a retailer that does online sales and gave it a shot. Their standard shipping rate was 12 bucks,  so I ended up buying a couple of batches worth to spread out the extra shipping expense over a few brews. I was pretty impressed by how quick I got my shipment, although I do get the vibe that this is primarily a brick and mortar outfit that does online sales on top of in store sales.
Eric B.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 06:02:53 pm »
Sounds nice. How were the prices?

Scroll through this list of maltsters: https://craftmalting.com/craft-malt-finder/
Prices for grain were the same as Rahr, Avengard, etc. Shipping was a bit higher than I'm used to paying, but I will probably buy in larger quantities if these are as good as my first impressions lead me to believe.
Eric B.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 09:03:56 pm »
A LHBS has just started to sell malt from that maltster, but I am too cheap to spend that much money on malt. :)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 09:11:05 pm »
A LHBS has just started to sell malt from that maltster, but I am too cheap to spend that much money on malt. :)
Interesting. There was no more than a nickel difference in price per pound compared to other maltsters at the shop I ordered from.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 09:27:12 pm »
I purchase base malt in 50 or 55lb bags.  The per pound price at 50lbs is pretty high on the Riverbend Malt House malt.  It is well over a dollar.  My target price is ninety cents to a dollar per pound out of the door. I will pay a little more if I do not have to drive seventy miles, round-trip, to get it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:27:51 pm by Saccharomyces »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 08:50:49 am »

Yet you go out of your way to take extraordinary measures with yeast to assure good beer.  Malt plays a much larger part, but you need to address the quality of all ingrefients.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 09:14:20 am »
I've been intrigued by that 6 row for a while. On one of the SN Mills River tours they said that they were doing some brews with it, and the flavor was excellent. It is a heritage 6-row IIRC, the flavor wasn't bred out of it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 09:29:30 am »
I love these new (to me) maltsters or malts - my LHBS will look for these in advance without my asking and let me know it is available when they receive it in stock.  I will invariably accept a sack or at least a 10 lb order to try new malts.  Presently trying out North Star Pils from Rahr.  First batch is underway.  Fermenting with Diamond and hoping for the best.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Fire Rooster

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 09:34:00 am »
Has anyone tried any of the malts from Riverbend? I came across them on craftmalting.com and figured I'd try them out. I haven't brewed with them yet, but I did chew on each of them when I got them in. Everything seemed to have just a bit of extra depth of flavor compared to similar malts I've used from other maltsters. The ones I have are:

Southern Select - this is a 2-row that to my palate sits somewhere between Pale malt and Pale ale malt. I wouldn't say that it tastes like Golden Promise, but it seems like it would occupy the same space in my toolbox. I will probably brew a bitter with this as the base malt in the near future.

Heritage - this is a 6-row that is kilned somewhere between a Vienna and Light Munich. The kernels taste phenomenal. I'm using some in an American Wheat, but I could see this paired with some corn to make a killer lager.

Appalachian Wheat - I could eat this one by the ha ndful. It's kilned a bit higher than wheat malt typically is, and it has boatloads of flavor; like taking a bite out of a well-made loaf of bread. This one is going in my American Wheat as well.

I'll post more when I actually brew with them, but I have to admit that I'm pretty excited to try them out.

Adding Appalachian Wheat & Heritage to my forever growing list of stuff to try.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 11:46:34 am »
I am finishing up my Valley Malt and don’t see a way to buy more. They were doing a CSA like program , maybe it’s just not the right season, I am going to email them.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 03:41:41 pm »
Yet you go out of your way to take extraordinary measures with yeast to assure good beer.  Malt plays a much larger part, but you need to address the quality of all ingrefients.

I just have not found a domestic malt that compares to British or continental malt.  I am not saying that one does not exist.  I am saying that I am not willing to pay a premium price for a domestic malt that is only slightly better than continental or British malt.  I do not purchase the most expensive hops I can find either.  Until a domestic craft maltster is willing to sponsor me or at least provide malt at the same price I can purchase imported malt, I will stick with the best imported malt I can find at a price I am willing to pay.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:43:53 pm by Saccharomyces »