Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Freshops Perle Rhizomes  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Freshops Perle Rhizomes
« on: March 22, 2021, 04:02:12 pm »
I decided to plant another hop garden, something small this time.  It was just going to be four hills, two rhizomes per hill.  Well, that was the goal until the rhizomes I ordered from Freshops arrived today.  Three of the four cultivars I ordered are normal size rhizomes.  The Perle rhizomes, on the other hand, are monsters.  There are two rhizomes in a gallon size zip lock bag and it has to weigh at least a pound.  I have planted several hop gardens on different properties over the years and I have never seen rhizomes like these two.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Freshops Perle Rhizomes
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 04:14:34 pm »
I decided to plant another hop garden, something small this time.  It was just going to be four hills, two rhizomes per hill.  Well, that was the goal until the rhizomes I ordered from Freshops arrived today.  Three of the four cultivars I ordered are normal size rhizomes.  The Perle rhizomes, on the other hand, are monsters.  There are two rhizomes in a gallon size zip lock bag and it has to weigh at least a pound.  I have planted several hop gardens on different properties over the years and I have never seen rhizomes like these two.

Dave has been selling hops and rhizomes since before I started brewing.  I've never been disappointed in his stuff.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 04:42:47 pm »
I had to recheck the price on the Perle rhizomes because I have never seen anything like them.  The hills from which these two rhizomes were harvested have to be mature.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 04:59:49 pm »
By the way, Dave was selling hops and rhizomes when I started brewing.  If I recall correctly, he ran ads in Zymurgy and Brewing Techniques.  I am willing to be bet that he was one of the first, if not the first direct West Coast hop broker for U.S. home brewing community.  I have had good luck with his rhizomes in the past.  I was wise enough to only order Downey Mildew resistant cultivars this time.  I had an infection in my latest hop garden.

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 04:46:12 pm »
Yep!  I started brewing in the mid-late 80's and actually found some wild hops growing in a hedgerow a few miles west of Rochester, NY a year or so later.  Couldn't really find info back then but I did see his ad in the back of Zymurgy in '90 when I moved back to Ohio and after a few phone calls, I was on a plane out to the OBF (I think it was '91).  I've actually helped pack orders for him and helped out brewing at his brewery (Oregon Trail) on my following visits out there.  He was basically the first hop supplier to cater to the craft brewing industry as he began selling to Kenny Grossman, Greg Noonan, Larry Bell etc. as they were getting started because the rest of the industry was just in place to deal with AB, Miller etc.  The Ralphs at Hopunion basically took a gamble on that idea and were the first of the bigger brokers to start packaging in smaller quantities.  Prost to Dave!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 08:14:06 am »
Yep!  I started brewing in the mid-late 80's and actually found some wild hops growing in a hedgerow a few miles west of Rochester, NY a year or so later.  Couldn't really find info back then but I did see his ad in the back of Zymurgy in '90 when I moved back to Ohio and after a few phone calls, I was on a plane out to the OBF (I think it was '91).  I've actually helped pack orders for him and helped out brewing at his brewery (Oregon Trail) on my following visits out there.  He was basically the first hop supplier to cater to the craft brewing industry as he began selling to Kenny Grossman, Greg Noonan, Larry Bell etc. as they were getting started because the rest of the industry was just in place to deal with AB, Miller etc.  The Ralphs at Hopunion basically took a gamble on that idea and were the first of the bigger brokers to start packaging in smaller quantities.  Prost to Dave!!

Bob, great to see you around again!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell