Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: beer-based tinctures of coffee, vanilla  (Read 1342 times)

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
beer-based tinctures of coffee, vanilla
« on: August 19, 2019, 09:44:32 am »
I'm a fan of dosing my batches of beer via tinctures to get the right amounts of extra flavors and aromas in.  I brewed a porter into which I'm going to add vanilla and coffee using this method.  I've got ~1.5 gallons of extra beer reserved for steeping these ingredients separately.  My rationale is that beer will do a better job of extracting flavors than cold brewing coffee and soaking vanilla beans in alcohol.  Anybody try this or have thoughts as to whether this will be a good way to go or not?  Thanks!

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: beer-based tinctures of coffee, vanilla
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 12:52:26 pm »
I’ve added both coffee and vanilla to my beer.  However, not in the same brew.  When I add coffee, I use whole beans in a muslin bag during the boil.  This method adds a wonderful coffee background to my porter without adding any additional water, i.e. cold brew.

On the other hand, I’ve struggled with vanilla.  I’ve tried adding vanilla beans to the boil, or to the secondary, or both with very limited success.  I’ve even gone as far as spending $25 on 5 Madagascar beans, split them, soaked them in vodka and added them to the secondary.  They added a wonderful flavor....for about 3 weeks.  So, I’m curious how your method works out.

Good luck!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 05:41:02 pm »
I ended up cold steeping 6 oz. of freshly roasted coarsely ground coffee in a gallon of finished beer, and adding two vanilla beans (split open and scraped to expose the innards) directly to my keg of porter.  Keg sat at room temps for 5 days and then put into the kegerator with the beans still in (in a meg bag).  I racked the coffee beer into another gallon jug after 5 days or so.  I'll be adding ~1.5 quarts of the coffee beer to the keg- I calculated this amount after dosing 2 oz samples of the main porter with the coffee beer.  In the end, I think it will be relatively close to the Hill Farmstead version that inspired this brew.  If anyone would like the recipe, I'll be happy to post it.

Offline buragoz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 08:43:08 am »
I've always loved the taste of coffee in everything it can be, and even add flavorings to beer. It turns out a very pleasant and delicious drink. Can you tell me what kind of coffee you plan to use? I would also like to know which manufacturer you prefer the most. For example, I love coffee, as well as food products zenesco. To be honest, this is the best thing I've found on the market recently. I think if you try to use this particular coffee, then you will not have any problems with both taste and preparation. Good luck, I hope you succeed. By the way, I think it would be cool if you created a separate post in which you described all the steps of cooking, I think many people will like it :)