Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cider Intro  (Read 1311 times)

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Cider Intro
« on: March 25, 2021, 12:28:51 pm »
So, a buddy may have gotten a tad too intoxicated the other day while having some beers.. he self proclaims not to like beer, so not sure how that happened... anyway, he sent me a message saying that he wanted me to make a cider. I kind of just said ok and brushed it off.. well... he ordered a press off of Amazon and had it sent to my place. If I would have know he was serious, I would have steered him away.

I looked at a few articles on here, but if I am going to entertain this cider idea, where might I find some decent resources for pressing and fermenting my way there. I am not trying to become a cider master or anything like that, but you know, I want to make something passable.. I feel like I am going to need a ton of apples... pears wouldn't be bad either HAH!

Cheers!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Cider Intro
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 01:04:52 pm »
I press and ferment my own apples every year.  Ask away!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 01:44:12 pm »
I guess to start, how many apples would one need? Also, I'm assuming I probably want to keep beer and cider equipment separate. I'm not going all out but figured I'd buy a different fermenter for it all at a minimum, but was not sure of other considerations.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 02:15:28 pm »
I guess to start, how many apples would one need? Also, I'm assuming I probably want to keep beer and cider equipment separate. I'm not going all out but figured I'd buy a different fermenter for it all at a minimum, but was not sure of other considerations.

I use all my beer equipment for cider no problem.  How many apples?  How long is a piece of string?  I'm finishing a brew at the moment, but I can give you more detailed info later.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 02:19:51 pm by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 02:57:53 pm »
You'll want a pulper too.  Basically a course grinder that shreds the apples so you can press the juice out easier.  You will be dicing apples forever without one. 

At least that's what friends who make cider tell me.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 03:40:15 pm »
@Denny oh man I don't know how much string I have around here

@SlowBrew I've never even heard of that... Maybe I would have if I were serious about that but when Amazon delivered and I saw the package, I was like... *FacePalm*

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 05:03:09 pm »
You'll want a pulper too.  Basically a course grinder that shreds the apples so you can press the juice out easier.  You will be dicing apples forever without one. 

At least that's what friends who make cider tell me.

Paul

My press has that built in.  I have what's called the medium plus here...https://www.correllciderpresses.com/presses

www.dennybrew.com

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 05:16:19 pm »
You do need the pulper if it’s not built in.
As to the apples, where do you live? If you live where apples grow you should be able to source them between orchards and foraging but if not I think it would be tough because you don’t really want what they have at the grocery store, at least not for the whole amount.
I would say to make pressing them yourself worthwhile the amount would be many hundreds to a thousand or two.
You could always sell the press and use the money to buy cider to ferment if that’s all too much.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 05:52:24 pm »

You could always sell the press and use the money to buy cider to ferment if that’s all too much.
Yeah, your friend is insane unless he has his own orchard or something. Pete has the most sensible idea here unless you have access to a fair amount of apples.

I buy fresh pressed juice from a local orchard in the fall and use that to make my cider each year.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 06:41:30 pm »
I'd probably give it back to him and let him deal with it but I'll give it a shot. What's the worst that can happen?

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 06:57:35 pm »
I press apples, it’s great fun if you have ready access to lots of apples. I borrow someone’s press every year that there is a good apple crop. I have access to hundreds of pounds of good cider apples for free in prolific years but I assume most people don’t.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2021, 04:20:05 pm »
I just want to update everyone on my cider shenanigans... I made my first batch today

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2021, 08:24:08 am »
The current issue of Zymurgy has a piece on making good cider fairly easily.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2021, 08:29:20 am »
Doing our yearly apple pressing for cider today.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2021, 12:55:42 am »
I didn't point my tube low enough. I filled a pint glass and a small growler but I was anticipating trub levels of beer... I was sorely mistaken.... At least the keg is mostly filled.