Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: methode champenoise  (Read 1560 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
methode champenoise
« on: June 08, 2020, 05:34:44 pm »
is there a practical way a homebrewer can produce a sparkling wine ala methode champenoise? how would you freeze the yeast in the bottle neck? if you are gung ho set on methode champenoise where would you start?
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Re: methode champenoise
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 05:58:03 pm »
I would start by watching Annie Johnson's presentation (on June 20th):
https://www.homebrewcon.org/session/#24?session-title=méthode-traditionelle:-brewing-in-the-champagne-method

The Maltose Falcons also has a nice write-up on this:
https://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/methode-champenoise-beer

Ralph R.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 07:39:35 am »
I would start by watching Annie Johnson's presentation (on June 20th):
https://www.homebrewcon.org/session/#24?session-title=méthode-traditionelle:-brewing-in-the-champagne-method

The Maltose Falcons also has a nice write-up on this:
https://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/methode-champenoise-beer

I'll never forget the NHC in Orlando in 2006 when Drew would stand on a table and shoot corks across the room!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 10:14:28 am »
i would just use a champagne bottle with Belgian corks/cages that i use for some beers, rather then hammering in those plastic corks with a mallet, im gonna do a few trial runs with everclear and dry ice, the acetone/dry ice rubs me the wrong way even though it probably works better, thanks
Matty

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 11:02:07 am »
i would just use a champagne bottle with Belgian corks/cages that i use for some beers, rather then hammering in those plastic corks with a mallet, im gonna do a few trial runs with everclear and dry ice, the acetone/dry ice rubs me the wrong way even though it probably works better, thanks

I assume there's food grade dry ice, but I haven't run across it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 04:32:27 pm »

there is definitely food grade dry ice, if its from the same stuff we carbonate our beers with i don't see why it would not be food grade, esp when the biggest application is the food/beverage industry
Matty

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 08:02:15 am »

there is definitely food grade dry ice, if its from the same stuff we carbonate our beers with i don't see why it would not be food grade, esp when the biggest application is the food/beverage industry

The stuff I always bought for fog machines would sometimes have metal shavings in it

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 08:21:48 am »

The stuff I always bought for fog machines would sometimes have metal shavings in it
i am by no means an expert on dry ice and i'm sure there are different grades but i did grow up in the same house as my uncle who ran a ice cream company for 30+ years and i used to help him sometimes and i never seen any foreign objects in it nor was anything left behind once it evaporated
Matty

Offline trk1138

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 08:13:21 am »
I don't have anything to add to the discussion of doing methode champenoise at home. However, if you are ever in Pt. Reyes Station, CA (north of SF on the coast), there is a place called Heidrun Meadery that does strictly methode champenoise mead with different varietal honeys. They have a nice location and do tastings and tours. If you are in the area, I recommend it.