Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Unintended sour?  (Read 692 times)

Offline Dragonflylady

• 1st Kit
Unintended sour?
« on: December 05, 2021, 06:24:59 pm »
I was making a farmhouse ale and I finished waiting 2 weeks after bottling and tasted the first bottle---getting a slight sour flavor- hops are supposed to somewhat citrus but I do not think they should be this intense. It does not taste bad, but not what I intended. Get the crystal ball out, I am thinking I either got some wild yeast or other contamination. This is the first one in 9 years of brewing- assuming from what I have read, it is not going to cause any illness. I brewed another batch using the same equipment, tasted the first bottle and no hint of sour, so I do not think it is any persistent infection with the equipment. Looking for any thoughts. Thanks

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Unintended sour?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 06:36:46 pm »
If it is contaminated, it may be that the bottle is the source. You'll find out after drinking a few more.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 08:08:12 pm »
I made a pumpkin beer once, baked the pumpkin added to the mash, etc etc.. and it came out sour.. but a nice sour... I had others try it and they liked it. They asked me what I did. I told them it was an accident. I wouldn't even know how to begin saying what I've done. I was really just looking for feedback on how to fix it. I thought it making it again but I wouldn't even know where you begin.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 11:17:52 am »
Dragonfly, it seems unlikely that you have an infection because lactobacillus infections don't kick in until the hops have faded. But when they do, bottled beers become gushers when opened.