Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: partigyle calculations?  (Read 1043 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
partigyle calculations?
« on: March 26, 2021, 02:19:29 pm »
im doing 15lb of maris otter for 5.5 gallons of clear wort before boil. hoping to do(?) a partigyle mash where i will not sparge for the aforementioned 5.5 gallons of clear wort, then throw on a pound of black malt and a little flaked barley and add another 5 gallons of sparge temp (165F) water.

someone in a very old thread here linked to a randy mosher "table" page related to partigyling but it is unaccessible now, it says security risk. couldn't find what i'm looking for.

does anyone have an estimate or a link on how to calculate or guess the gravity of each of these worts?

i use brewtarget (anyone else btw?) and added the same 15lb of grain to the 2nd brew but put the efficiency at 15% vs my 70% usual. i figured that must be somewhat in the ballpark, though it gives very little extract potential. so it looks like i'll be adding DME anyway.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: partigyle calculations?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 02:25:04 pm »
I assume that I'll get 2/3 of the gravity from first runnings and the other 1/3 from second.  But I'm always prepared to wing it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 02:25:15 pm »
I know I saw that article, too, but here is one that talks it through with a bit of math, but even I think I followed what was being said, so it might help:

beerandbrewing.com/practical-parti-gyle-brewing/

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 02:58:26 pm »
You might try this site: https://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/2716/theres-a-parti-in-my-pots-and-i-saved-money-too/

A good book to have is Guile Brews by Peter Symon.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 05:51:07 pm »
See partigyle calculator in my signature line.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 09:11:51 pm »
thank ye all