Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SN discontinues Summerfest for "Session Hazy"  (Read 2762 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
SN discontinues Summerfest for "Session Hazy"
« on: March 26, 2021, 05:02:46 pm »
I know I sound like an old guy but I won't even ever try this beer. I'd sometimes grab a sixer of Summerfest on the way to the pool or BBQ.

https://newschoolbeer.com/home/2021/3/sierra-nevada-discontinues-summerfest-seasonal-summer-break-hazy-ipa

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
SN discontinues Summerfest for "Session Hazy"
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 05:11:23 pm »
My next planned brew is a Summer Ale. It might not hit SN level of Summerfest excellence but I plan for it to be awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: SN discontinues Summerfest for "Session Hazy"
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 05:21:15 pm »
Can't say I'm surprised. Can't find a lot of my favorites anymore. Even with my young experience in craft beer, I'm the old guy. Started in 2010. If it ain't hazy, the new kids on the block don't want it (can I get some Tumbler, please!)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 05:44:54 pm »
Bummer.  I always enjoyed Summerfest.  Maybe they will bring it back in the future.

It's odd that this "session IPA" has both less alcohol and lower IBUs than their APA (which by the way is almost the only domestic beer I ever purchase).  I guess the counterargument would be that it has, supposedly, hop flavor and aroma that is more on par with an IPA.

I do enjoy their Hazy Little Thing IPA, though it does sometimes cross over into that sweaty gym sock flavor.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 06:01:59 pm »
I’m very curious to try Summer Break. Sounds interesting to me.

Sorry to see Summerfest go, it was pretty decent.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 06:39:52 pm »
I personally feel the hazy thing is a gimmick that is going to play itself out to a degree. I'm not the one to question SN's marketing but this seems a year too late. With Summerfest they seemed to have a perennial winner. Maybe I'm wrong.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 07:26:14 pm »
Bought a lot of Summerfest last summer when my own lagers ran out. Damnit, more Bells Lager of the lakes this summer, when my homebrew runs out.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 07:32:42 pm »
I personally feel the hazy thing is a gimmick that is going to play itself out to a degree. I'm not the one to question SN's marketing but this seems a year too late. With Summerfest they seemed to have a perennial winner. Maybe I'm wrong.
I like Summerfest. I don’t like hazy or session IPAs. I think a beer with a lot of hop flavor and aroma needs a bitter backbone.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 07:33:29 pm »
Bought a lot of Summerfest last summer when my own lagers ran out. Damnit, more Bells Lager of the lakes this summer, when my homebrew runs out.
I’ll just have to make sure my lagers don’t run out!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 07:57:40 pm »
All the mass produced hazy beers use Tanal A anyway, I'm sure of it. If you are making a beer hazy with tannic acid just "because" seems like that defeats the purpose. It's just a gimmick.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 08:04:03 pm by majorvices »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 08:10:05 pm »

Hazies are a gimmick?  When did Heady Topper come out?

Now Summer Break might be a lousy beer, who knows, but I can’t see Hazy/NEIPA’s going anywhere anytime soon. 

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 08:12:42 pm »

Now Summer Break might be a lousy beer, who knows, but I can’t see Hazy/NEIPA’s going anywhere anytime soon.

Funny thing about Heady, this was not their intention with that beer I can't remember the interview that was from. I'm sure I can find it. The hazy was a side effect and that's why they wanted you to drink it from the can, not a glass.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 08:32:21 pm »

When they are mass produced just to have haze? Absolutely. Read my post just above the one of your's I just quoted. Ever hear of Miller Clear?

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 09:06:54 pm »

When they are mass produced just to have haze? Absolutely. Read my post just above the one of your's I just quoted. Ever hear of Miller Clear?
Never heard of it, but then again I haven’t had anything “Miller” in over 30 years.

Of course anything “fake” is a gimmick, but my point is that if a style has been around long enough (relative) and remains popular (also relative), it is no longer a gimmick. I’m talking about well made craft hazies. I’m not sure if you are actually arguing against that or not.   

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2021, 05:55:27 am »
I don't recon I was clear -- it's a gimmick when the haze is induced by tannins simnply because people expecy or seek after "haze". Of course, I guess the same thing could be said about inducing a permanent haze in a hefe-weizen.

Regardless, I like Heady Topper and I have brewed a few hazy IPAs commercially. They aren't easy to brew and kudos to those who brew them well. But if I was going to do a mass produced one that shipped regionally in cans I'd induce the haze with Tanal A so that it could remain hazy and shelf stable.