Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 12 Craft Beers That Taste Like … Beer!  (Read 4675 times)

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
Re: 12 Craft Beers That Taste Like … Beer!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2021, 02:41:03 pm »
Why is it that a lot home brewers who are into brewing German pils are so high and mighty about it? It’s just another beer style
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2021, 04:49:40 pm »
This is kind of funny...as I have had many beers in Tokyo, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Munich, and London, that tasted like beer. And not one of these beers would be considered by the folks here as a "craft beer". They were all from mainstream breweries.

Just to name a couple...Yebisu, Hoffbrau, Spaten, Heineken, Grolsch, Kirin. Had them all in their home country. And they not only tasted like beer, they were excellent! Some of the absolute best lagers I have had were in Japan, on draft.

Many in the industry (here in the US) are simply trying too hard.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2021, 05:07:41 pm »
say whatever you want, but my way of brewing has almost always been several years ahed of the curve. i have moved into this kind of trend of restraint and production and improving recipes for quite some time now. I don't jump on bandwagons.

I wasn't replying to you. Just FYI. Just giving my personal perspective.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 05:26:47 pm by majorvices »

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2021, 05:51:41 pm »
I'll tell you what should be on the list, or not but I had an Erdinger Dunkel. It was quite pleasent

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2021, 06:26:38 pm »
Why is it that a lot home brewers who are into brewing German pils are so high and mighty about it? It’s just another beer style

I think it is the lingering attitude about the purity and discipline of German beer being peak brewing together with the fact that for a lot of older homebrewers drank a lot of German imports. Brewing lagers well requires a lot of attention to detail but the same can be said for a lot of styles. Just because you can brew an ok IPA and skate by loading it up with hops doesn't mean a great IPA doesn't require the same attention to detail.

I like pils a lot and I'm literally drinking one now as I type.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2021, 07:49:29 pm »
This is kind of funny...as I have had many beers in Tokyo, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Munich, and London, that tasted like beer. And not one of these beers would be considered by the folks here as a "craft beer". They were all from mainstream breweries.

Just to name a couple...Yebisu, Hoffbrau, Spaten, Heineken, Grolsch, Kirin. Had them all in their home country. And they not only tasted like beer, they were excellent! Some of the absolute best lagers I have had were in Japan, on draft.

of those only grolsch actually tastes well made. hofbrauhaus (if thats what you meant) has never hit me right. the rest are meh.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2021, 08:25:22 pm »

of those only grolsch actually tastes well made. hofbrauhaus (if thats what you meant) has never hit me right. the rest are meh.

Have you tried Yebisu on draft in a Tokyo bar? Some of the best lager I’ve had. I meant the Hoffbrau Brewery, not the restaurant.
Here is where I part ways with the crowd, as my taste leans heavily towards clean, crisp, full bodied lagers.

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2021, 10:37:25 pm »

Maybe you’re so far ahead of the curve you’ve lost your tastebuds?

Anyway, each to their own, drink what you enjoy

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2021, 04:28:00 am »

Dang...I forgot to mention Sydney and Brisbane! Spent a lot of time there, and the beer was great! VB and 4X were favorites! I even smuggled these back to the States by the case.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2021, 04:33:25 am »
We are planning a trip to europe now that we are vaccinated and some travel restrictions are lifted. Definitely looking forward to doing some serious beer drinking

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2021, 04:59:37 am »
I guess I am lucky in that I like and appreciate a wide variety of styles. Right now I have on tap, lagering, or in fermenters a NEIPA, Porter, bohemian pilsner, Maibock, and English bitter.
What seems to be happening these days is people who are into European lagers seem to think that no one else is sophisticated enough to enjoy their nuances and everyone is on the hoppy beer bandwagon. Well, 2010 called and they want their conceit back. The fact is lagers have become quite trendy and more and more people are drinking them and I am seeing more and more shelf space given to them.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2021, 05:13:42 am »

Dang...I forgot to mention Sydney and Brisbane! Spent a lot of time there, and the beer was great! VB and 4X were favorites! I even smuggled these back to the States by the case.

I don’t mind 4x but VB, well, I’m not a fan haha! All our mainstream lagers just use plain old cane sugar, cheap and available here.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2021, 08:07:19 am »

I don’t mind 4x but VB, well, I’m not a fan haha! All our mainstream lagers just use plain old cane sugar, cheap and available here.

Yeah, when I was in Australia I noticed a distinct disdain for it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 12:49:59 pm by dbeechum »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2021, 08:48:19 am »
We are planning a trip to europe now that we are vaccinated and some travel restrictions are lifted. Definitely looking forward to doing some serious beer drinking

cool, i put off a europe trip due to covid, but am really interested in traveling again. hope it goes well, im not looking forward to potential restrictions.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2021, 07:55:50 am »
I've had a few of those beers including the Zwickel from Urban Chestnut and the Helles from Wibby.  Actually, all of the Urban Chestnut lagers are fantastic and they come in this can that opens all the way open... the entire top comes off, not just a small opening.  Their Pils is very nice as well.  What if craft breweries just picked up where many US macros left off prior to WW2?  What if thousands of craft breweries across the US made delicious gold lagers for the masses that kicked Bud Light right in the pants?  These beers should not be confused with wimpy, fizzy gold lagers because they're better than that.  A rich, full-tasting gold lager with some hop presence is one reason why I brew and I love to see craft breweries concentrate on that as opposed to triple IPAs, 12% Belgians and Doughnut Stouts. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.