Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 12 Craft Beers That Taste Like … Beer!  (Read 4674 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: 12 Craft Beers That Taste Like … Beer!
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2021, 10:18:21 am »
I've had a few of those beers including the Zwickel from Urban Chestnut and the Helles from Wibby.  Actually, all of the Urban Chestnut lagers are fantastic and they come in this can that opens all the way open... the entire top comes off, not just a small opening.  Their Pils is very nice as well.  What if craft breweries just picked up where many US macros left off prior to WW2?  What if thousands of craft breweries across the US made delicious gold lagers for the masses that kicked Bud Light right in the pants?  These beers should not be confused with wimpy, fizzy gold lagers because they're better than that.  A rich, full-tasting gold lager with some hop presence is one reason why I brew and I love to see craft breweries concentrate on that as opposed to triple IPAs, 12% Belgians and Doughnut Stouts. 
Yeah, Urban Chestnut is really good, I agree. And those cans are really cool. I've been to Wibby as well and enjoyed the brewery/beer. Fun times.
Jesse

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2021, 10:25:40 am »
I have always said that "American Lager" is a style like any other and I understand why so many craft breweries and beer enthusiasts don't want to go there.  There are already so many examples of the style everywhere you look but that doesn't mean that the craft version has to emulate the macro version.  Use different hops, more hops, better malt and a yeast with more character.  Use less corn or no corn.  Less rice or no rice.  Give the beer better character but still nice for a warm and sunny day.  I remember tailgating with my daughter before an Indiana football game.  I found Urban Chestnut Zwickel at a big liquor store down there and offered one to a guy hanging with us.  He looked at the can like he had never seen anything like it, was wowed by the entire top coming off but when he tasted it... you could tell he was in Beervana.   
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2021, 11:27:43 am »
A rich, full-tasting gold lager with some hop presence is one reason why I brew and I love to see craft breweries concentrate on that as opposed to triple IPAs, 12% Belgians and Doughnut Stouts.

I would just change that to "And".

Because as Hawkeye Pierce might say, "The more craft breweries concentrate on golden lagers, the less craft breweries there will be to concentrate on golden lagers."   :)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2021, 11:44:19 am »
A rich, full-tasting gold lager with some hop presence is one reason why I brew and I love to see craft breweries concentrate on that as opposed to triple IPAs, 12% Belgians and Doughnut Stouts.

Because as Hawkeye Pierce might say, "The more craft breweries concentrate on golden lagers, the less craft breweries there will be to concentrate on golden lagers."   :)
True, they can concentrate on all of them at one point or another.  My issue is with some places I have been to where all the beers seemed so weird and gimmicky that we would have a hard time finding something.  I have absolutely been to places where there might be 10-15 choices and every one of them was a "Margarita Gose" and a "Blueberry Sour" along with the big IPAs, Belgians and Stouts, etc.  If there were an APA, a Kolsch or other style that was more standard then I really wouldn't care what the rest of the selections were because I was able to find something I liked.  I've gone into places where not ONE of the choices "tasted like beer".  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2021, 03:28:24 pm »

True, they can concentrate on all of them at one point or another.  My issue is with some places I have been to where all the beers seemed so weird and gimmicky that we would have a hard time finding something.  I have absolutely been to places where there might be 10-15 choices and every one of them was a "Margarita Gose" and a "Blueberry Sour" along with the big IPAs, Belgians and Stouts, etc.  If there were an APA, a Kolsch or other style that was more standard then I really wouldn't care what the rest of the selections were because I was able to find something I liked.  I've gone into places where not ONE of the choices "tasted like beer".  :D

Unless it is a niche brewery focusing on a particular style, I agree that it would be pretty disappointing not to see at least something un-extreme at a brewery.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2021, 03:32:38 pm »
All that said, I'm a big believer in everyone brewing what they like or what sells.  If you're a craft brewery with a ton of gimmicky beers and they all sell... excellent.  Some people look at all of their ingredients and say "what can I make with this?" while others say "what CAN'T I make with this?".  :P
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2021, 11:32:49 pm »
Absolutely. I’m not a fan of blonde ales that have a dash of lactic acid and fruit extract added labelled as “sour” at $10 a glass, but if the hipsters are happy to pay, more power to the brewery for cashing in.
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2021, 07:14:07 am »
The hipsters in my area of the world appear to be moving to hard seltzer. 

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2021, 09:07:46 am »
Absolutely. I’m not a fan of blonde ales that have a dash of lactic acid and fruit extract added labelled as “sour” at $10 a glass, but if the hipsters are happy to pay, more power to the brewery for cashing in.
My girlfriend likes a brewery in gettysburg that seems to turn out "sours" every week they taste like lactose and fruit puree

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2021, 10:48:21 am »
When I do go to brewery’s or brew my own beer, I always go for the classics old school styles I tend to brew a lot of portors and stouts only because I love dark beer. The two brews I did were lighter to challenge my self. June’s beer brew will be a strong ale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2021, 12:46:17 pm »
When I do go to brewery’s or brew my own beer, I always go for the classics old school styles I tend to brew a lot of portors and stouts only because I love dark beer. The two brews I did were lighter to challenge my self. June’s beer brew will be a strong ale

I was really hating on IPAs for awhile till I decided to brew a session with less bitterness and more hop flavor and aroma. I think you'll really enjoy expanding your horizons especially when it's crafted by your own hands.

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2021, 02:32:26 pm »

I was really hating on IPAs for awhile till I decided to brew a session with less bitterness and more hop flavor and aroma. I think you'll really enjoy expanding your horizons especially when it's crafted by your own hands.

I like ipa’s I just don’t like the milkshakes and the new trendy sours beers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2021, 02:40:41 pm »

You are a man of exquisite taste and refinement!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2021, 02:50:30 pm »

I love milkshakes.. just not when I want a beer!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2021, 04:40:13 am »
I accept what these small craft breweries are doing, but when I cannot find at lest one pale ale, blond ale or similar classic style to choose from their current offerings, it is disappointing.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"