Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Low-cost Fermentation Chamber  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Low-cost Fermentation Chamber
« on: March 28, 2021, 08:25:49 am »
With the warm weather that we have enjoyed lately, I realized that I was going to need something better than an Immersion Pro I want to continue to ferment in my garage during the warm months.   I have been looking for a deal on a used large wine refrigerator for a while, but none have appeared, so I started looking at 5 cu. ft. chest freezers a few days ago.  Best Buy has their Insignia brand 5 cu. ft. chest freezer on sale for $124.99.  That is dirt cheap for a new freezer.  The freezer cost me $132.49 with tax.  Plus, it is light enough for one person to lift.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-5-0-cu-ft-chest-freezer-white/6385028.p?skuId=6385028

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Low-cost Fermentation Chamber
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 08:33:19 am »
I use the old fridge I bought used as a newlywed 30 yrs ago. I know it will die some day (soon?) and have been looking at various options. I like the small wine fridges with glass front but so do the manufacturers ($$$).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 08:47:22 am »
I like the small wine fridges with glass front but so do the manufacturers ($$$).

That is what I used for my fermentation chamber in my last brew house. It was a large Haier wine refrigerator that I picked up locally for $50.00.  The built-in non-digital thermostat was of little use, so I bypassed it with a jumper wire and controlled the unit with a Johnson Controls A419.  I started looking for a used large wine refrigerator last summer and finally gave up.  I am not paying $500 for the same basic refrigeration unit that sells with a different interior and door for half of that price.  At that price point, I will spend extra and go glycol.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 11:14:17 am by Saccharomyces »

Offline tommymorris

Low-cost Fermentation Chamber
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 09:43:13 am »
I ferment in a 5 cu. ft. chest freezer controlled with a Johnson A419 controller.

One problem is putting the FV into and out of the freezer. The best solution I have found is fermenting in plastic pales because they have a handle that makes it easy to lift with my arm and shoulder rather than bending over and using the lower back.

PS. I brew 3 gallon batches. So, they are lighter than 5 gallons.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 10:03:40 am »
I ferment in a 5 cu. ft. chest freezer controlled with a Johnson A419 controller.

One problem is putting the FV into and out of the freezer. The best solution I have found is fermenting in plastic pales because they have a handle that makes it easy to lift with my arm and shoulder rather than bending over and using the lower back.

PS. I brew 3 gallon batches. So, they are lighter than 5 gallons.

Getting the fermenter in and out of the freezer is probably the biggest downside for me...I used carboy netting products (the straps that slide around the whole carboy) back when I was using glass carboys, and those helped a lot. I've switched to stainless steel now, which at least have handles near the top. Still not the easiest!
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 11:24:34 am »

That is what made me hesitant to use a freezer for a fermentation chamber, but the prices for new wine refrigerators that are a large enough to hold fermentation vessel are ridiculous compared compared to same-size all-refrigerator refrigerators.  The advantage that wine refrigerators have over all-refrigerator refrigerators is that one does not need to perform surgery on the door.  A lot of wine refrigerators also have curved doors.  In my humble opinion, the best choice for a refrigerator-based fermentation chamber is the Edgestar BR2001 conversion refrigerator.   Wayfair usually sells the black version of this refrigerator under $320.00.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 06:56:10 pm »

That is what made me hesitant to use a freezer for a fermentation chamber, but the prices for new wine refrigerators that are a large enough to hold fermentation vessel are ridiculous compared compared to same-size all-refrigerator refrigerators.  The advantage that wine refrigerators have over all-refrigerator refrigerators is that one does not need to perform surgery on the door.  A lot of wine refrigerators also have curved doors.  In my humble opinion, the best choice for a refrigerator-based fermentation chamber is the Edgestar BR2001 conversion refrigerator.   Wayfair usually sells the black version of this refrigerator under $320.00.
The Edgestar, I think, is what I have. It's a kegerator conversion they sell at Walmart or something like that. Cheap, but I spent more on it that I'd like to, even if I bought it used. Still works for sticking an SS Brewtech brew bucket in there. A friend of mine has two 5 cu ft chest freezers for fermenting. I think he often complains about lifting his brew bucket in and out of the freezer.
But, Mark, you're brewing 3 gallon batches, right? Shouldn't be a problem in that case.
Jesse

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 05:34:54 am »
Look for a free fridge. Mine died 2 months ago and when I checked new fridges to replace it, nope, not happening. I waited it out and I did find one. My 14 gallon conical fits easily in it. Yea, it is mostly likely 20 years old or more, but they built them pretty good back then.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 07:27:56 am »
I built a super-insulated fermentation chamber for my fermenter. I converted a used $5 window air conditioner into a glycol chiller.  All on the cheap.  The ss conical with cooling coil was pricey, but the entire system works like a dream.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 08:16:53 am »
I built a super-insulated fermentation chamber for my fermenter. I converted a used $5 window air conditioner into a glycol chiller.  All on the cheap.  The ss conical with cooling coil was pricey, but the entire system works like a dream.
Having that kind of technical knowledge definitely pays off. I certainly don't have that kind of knowledge.
Jesse

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 08:20:52 am »
Have you considered posting your build instructions or links to the processes you used so others can build something similar?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 08:46:23 am »
I installed a rachet hoist suspended from the ceiling to lift the fermenter into the chest freezer and it works pretty well for my 10 gallon batches in a Kegmenter (my chest freezer is set atop a set of dollies to roll around easier).  But most recently I have gone to a small dorm fridge, immersible DC pump with a glycol reservoir and the wrap style cooling jacket.  It works really well, even in summer conditions.  I had the fridge and wasn't using it, so I thought I would try to put it to good use. 

http://www.gotta-brew.com/products/cool-zone-cooling-jacket.html

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"