Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Back to back brew days, maybe.  (Read 1001 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Back to back brew days, maybe.
« on: April 05, 2021, 02:46:54 pm »
I want to brew 2) 18 gallons batches of the same beer. I don't have enough yeast slurry for 36 gallons. If I brewed one batch say Sunday and pitching what yeast I have, can I then brew the second batch 2-3 days later (high krausen?)  and then add that to the first batch? My thoughts are that the yeast will have had time to grow and be able to finish. Thoughts?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Back to back brew days, maybe.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 02:52:08 pm »
yep
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 03:05:17 pm »
It sounds like you have a major fermenter available.  Go for it - high krausen will put you in the highest vitality point of the first pitch, which is when many brewers harvest yeast for use, anyway.  Or using fewer letters in response as Denny said "yep".
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 04:02:27 pm »
It sounds like you have a major fermenter available.  Go for it - high krausen will put you in the highest vitality point of the first pitch, which is when many brewers harvest yeast for use, anyway.  Or using fewer letters in response as Denny said "yep".

I do, 1bbl Spike which has a 40 gallon total capacity. Sometimes my eyes are bigger than my stomach. I also have a 1/2 bbl spike which gets used more than the other.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 07:07:12 am »
This is what commercial brewers do all the time. Look up "drauflassen". Usually it's best to do it within 12-24 hours though.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 07:58:18 am »
Just a thought.  Since you have a big enough fermenter, why don't you do a second batch a day or so after the first and add it to the batch that is already fermenting?  That will give the yeast time to grow from the first batch and adding new wort on top of the already fermenting wort will not harm the beer.
We used to do that all the time in the brewery I worked at a few years back and it worked well.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 08:15:38 am »
Yep - what these guys said.  I knew that there was a German name for it, but I couldn't remember it.  Professor Narziss claimed that it was a worthwhile process from a flavor perspective as well, since it reduced certain esterification:

https://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Drauflassen

Cheers!

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 12:59:35 pm »
This is what commercial brewers do all the time. Look up "drauflassen". Usually it's best to do it within 12-24 hours though.

Will do, thanks!!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 01:02:27 pm »
Just a thought.  Since you have a big enough fermenter, why don't you do a second batch a day or so after the first and add it to the batch that is already fermenting?  That will give the yeast time to grow from the first batch and adding new wort on top of the already fermenting wort will not harm the beer.
We used to do that all the time in the brewery I worked at a few years back and it worked well.

That is what I meant in my original post.
Thanks!