Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where to find target SG?  (Read 867 times)

Offline wortdog1

• 1st Kit
Where to find target SG?
« on: March 29, 2021, 03:14:22 pm »
My Northern Brewer instruction sheet for an extract cream ale does not call out a target finished SG.
I see reference to a target in posts and articles, but at a loss to find it.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Where to find target SG?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 04:01:14 pm »
Welcome to the forum!

The target gravity will depend on your recipe and the specific yeast strain.  If you provide these parameters, we can come up with a reasonable guess for final gravity.  Yet ultimately, since yeast is a living organism, the results can vary somewhat from the target as well.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline wortdog1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 07:09:52 am »
I gather, you would run this through a software program.

KIT INVENTORY: MAILLARD MALTSTMSPECIALTY GRAIN -0.75 lbs Gambrinus Honey Malt -0.25 lbs Belgian Biscuit MAILLARD MALTSTMEXTRACTS & OTHER FERMENTABLES -6 lbs Pilsen malt syrup HOPTIMUS REXTMPREMIUM HOPS & OTHER FLAVORINGS -1 oz Cluster (60 min) YEAST -DRY YEAST (DEFAULT): Safale US-05 Ale Yeast. Optimum temp: 59°-75° F

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 07:45:34 am »
Yes, you can enter this recipe into any homebrew software and it will give you a good idea of what to expect for original and final gravity readings, etc.  For kits like this, I would expect an extract efficiency of roughly 65%.  Most software assumes 75% but if you are just starting out then 65% is a good starting point that most people will be able to achieve.  Also, the apparent attenuation of the yeast is often estimated to be 75%, but in the case of US-05, this is a very attenuative yeast averaging closer to 83%, which means you can generally expect a lower final gravity from it.  Also worth mentioning, liquid malt extract often is a little less fermentable than dry malt or actual malt.

So..... with all of this in mind, based on software plus my own experience, I would expect about 1.049 to start, and a finishing gravity of approximately 1.011.  This assumes 78% apparent attenuation, which means of the 49 points of original gravity, apparently 78% of that will be fermented and 22% will remain.  If you multiply 49 times 0.22, you get 11, which gives 1.011 for expected final gravity (plus or minus a point or two).  That's another way to calculate it, just ignore the 1.0 in front and use gravity points.

Hope this helps.  Should be a tasty brew.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 07:47:38 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 07:57:22 am »
I see your 1.011 and raise to 1.014.

I don’t have faith in the fermentability of the extract syrup so I’m thinking a ~4.5% beer.

Call.

IOW — it’s just a gamble. ...but it’ll be a refreshing pint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 08:04:12 am »

I don’t have faith in the fermentability of the extract syrup so I’m thinking a ~4.5% beer.

Call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Totally agree.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 09:02:17 am »
My experience has been varied. Early on I was getting poor attenuation with LME beers, averaging around 65% AA with various yeasts, including US-05. After considerable effort to improve yeast health and fermentation conditions, I now get average attenuation around 80% AA (same yeasts). So I wouldn't be surprised at anything in the range of 65 - 80. I hate to have such an imprecise answer, but I think it's realistic.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 10:33:56 am »

Call.

If I lose the wager, do I need to slam my drink?  Cheers to that.  ;)
Dave

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 11:20:48 am »