Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: RO system  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: RO system
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 10:24:57 am »
Since I moved I'd like to contribute my beer getting better because of the water. But I can not because since then I've dialed in my fermentation temperatures and learned how to manage my PH and overall have gotten better at brewing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 07:02:49 pm »
With your home RO system how long does it take to gather total brewhaus liquor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine is rated at 100 gallons per day. I get more like 70 per day.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2021, 06:07:46 pm »
Our municipal water is absolutely horrible for brewing.  I bought the slick and portable HBrewO system at a homebrew conference a number of years ago out of convenience... it and their cartridges are probably more expensive than is justified.  But they were there, and I was there, and it's very convenient for me because I don't really have a good set-up for a larger home RO system.  I connect it to the hose bib out on my deck, and let 'er fly.  The discharge water goes into the back yard to water the grass and plants.  I stopped capturing the discharge water for other uses, because it was more trouble than it was worth.

I make 15 or 20 gallons at a time, about once a month.  For brewing water, I use between 1/3 and 2/3 of my RO water depending on the beer, and the rest is charcoal-filtered tap water to get rid of the chlorine.  What I don't brew with, gets used in the coffee maker, and to replenish my aquariums.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2021, 01:52:29 pm »
  thank everyone for their input. Next question is how much water do you use to get one gallon of RO water?
  Also I am looking Premium RO system from Buckeye Hydro, along with the cloragard stage, and using the 100 Gallon per day which is 4.2 gallons per hour as suggested from Buckeye Hydro person. Not really sure I need the 100 gallon per day because I figure I can save RO water in the 3 gallon water jugs I bought from Walmart many years ago that are meant for water. If I do that I would maybe only need the 25 gallon per day (1 gallon an hour)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2021, 02:57:11 pm »
Since I moved I'd like to contribute my beer getting better because of the water. But I can not because since then I've dialed in my fermentation temperatures and learned how to manage my PH and overall have gotten better at brewing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

But, they all combine and contribute to the final product.

Cheers!!

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2023, 09:41:24 pm »
I’ll revive this older thread to plug my HbrewO system after all these years.  It consistently puts out 0 TDS and 0 chlorine water from my crappy tap water.  Recently it took a hit when I left it outside full of water in freezing temps, and the flow restrictor cracked.  Water gushed out instead of being forced through the filter cartridges and RO membrane.  I contacted HbrewO and Mike is sending me a new flow restrictor.  Because I needed to make some water, I had also ordered these flow restrictors from Amazon which are rated with the same output rate as the original.  They seem to work perfectly with the minor addition of a new piece of 1/4” OD polyethylene tubing to make the connection.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QXCY4TM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The first pic is the original part, the second pic shows the installed replacement.  (The “replace 8.26.23” on a cartridge is for reference only, that cartridge is still below its rated water capacity.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org