Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast London Ale  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Wyeast London Ale
« on: March 31, 2021, 11:30:59 am »
Brewing an Imperial Stout today, using London Ale yeast. The website says it is good up to 11% ABV.
Never made a high gravity beer with this before. Mine came in at 1.093, or 22.2 Brix.

What has your experience been?

Looks like my efficiency is off a bit, as the recipe calculator said OG of 1.120.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Wyeast London Ale
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 11:38:31 am »
When I make big beers my efficiency always goes down 10-15%. I pay less attention to what the yeast manufacturer states as the max alcohol tolerance and more to what the wort composition is. The more Crystal and Roasted grains the less attenuation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 11:47:44 am »
When I make big beers my efficiency always goes down 10-15%. I pay less attention to what the yeast manufacturer states as the max alcohol tolerance and more to what the wort composition is. The more Crystal and Roasted grains the less attenuation.

THIS.  Yeast attenuation rating is for comparing one yeast to another using a standard wort.  It doesn't necessarily reflect that attenuation you can expect.  Wort composition is the main factor in attenuation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 12:14:44 pm »

THIS.  Yeast attenuation rating is for comparing one yeast to another using a standard wort.  It doesn't necessarily reflect that attenuation you can expect.  Wort composition is the main factor in attenuation.

Ok, understand. So with an OG of 1.093, any guess as to what we should expect? The ferment temp is 62F.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 12:18:43 pm »

Ok, understand. So with an OG of 1.093, any guess as to what we should expect? The ferment temp is 62F.

I can make a guess if I see the recipe.  But it's only a guess.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 12:27:16 pm »
Usually a reasonable estimate for most yeasts and recipes:  Gravity points divided by 4.  That's specific gravity but ignoring the 1.0 in front.

So, for 1.093, that's 93 / 4 = 23 which is 1.023.

However Denny is correct, the real number is very dependent on yeast strain and recipe, so if we have that, including mash times and temperatures, then we can refine the estimate further.

P.S.  Another very rough guideline:  If the OG is 1.093, then you should end up with roughly 9.3% ABV, plus or minus a few tenths.  This works for many yeasts and recipes, but again... it depends.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 12:58:39 pm »
Usually a reasonable estimate for most yeasts and recipes:  Gravity points divided by 4.  That's specific gravity but ignoring the 1.0 in front.

However Denny is correct, the real number is very dependent on yeast strain and recipe, so if we have that, including mash times and temperatures, then we can refine the estimate further.

P.S.  Another very rough guideline:  If the OG is 1.093, then you should end up with roughly 9.3% ABV, plus or minus a few tenths.  This works for many yeasts and recipes, but again... it depends.

Those are good ballpark numbers, Dave.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 01:05:13 pm »

Good to know, thank you.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 01:12:55 pm »

Here goes:

20 lbs Pale
4 lbs Munich
1 lb 40 Crystal
1 lb 120 Caramel
1/2 lb Brown Malt
1/2 lb Chocolate Malt
1/4 lb Roasted Barley
1/4 lb Special B

Mash @ 142 = 30 minutes
Mash @ 154 = 30 minutes
Then raised to 170
90 minutes total time in Mash.

2.0 oz Willamette 6% AA FWH
2.0 oz Willamette 6% AA 30 minutes
2.0 oz Willamette 6% AA 5 minutes

Target IBU = 55

90 minute boil

Wyeast London Ale - #1028 (5th Generation)

OG - 1.093
Brix - 22.2

I tasted the wort after cooling. Balanced, bitterness & sweetness. Not bad. Fingers crossed on this one, as it is a first attempt.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 02:41:29 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 01:24:51 pm »

Here goes:

20 lbs Pale
4 lbs Munich
1 lb 40 Crystal
1 lb 120 Caramel
1/2 lb Brown Malt
1/2 lb Chocolate Malt
1/4 lb Roasted Barley
1/4 lb Special B

Mash @ 142 = 30 minutes
Mash @ 154 = 30 minutes
Then raised to 170
90 minutes total time in Mash.

90 minute boil

Wyeast London Ale - #1028 (5th Generation)

OG - 1.093
Brix - 22.2

I tasted the wort after cooling. Balanced, bitterness & sweetness. Not bad. Fingers crossed on this one, as it is a first attempt.

Rough top of the head math is that you've got around 13% low fermentables.  I wouldn't expect it to finish any lower than the 1.023 Dave predicted.  Which wouldn't be bad.  But like I said, it's only a guess.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 01:41:15 pm »
Thanks for the recipe.  Looks like a good one.  Based on it...

I stand by my previous numbers.  They should be almost completely dead on.  9.3% ABV.  And/or maybe 1.024 and 9.2%.  Close to that.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 01:41:22 pm »
I agree with the ballpark numbers from Denny and Dave. One other crucial factor is the yeast pitch. Fresh,  big, and healthy will get you a lot closer to the mid to low 1.020s FG

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 01:43:54 pm »
I agree with the ballpark numbers from Denny and Dave. One other crucial factor is the yeast pitch. Fresh,  big, and healthy will get you a lot closer to the mid to low 1.020s FG

In my experience, pitch rate is important to minimize lag time and get to the goal faster, while minimizing off-flavors.... but should not affect attenuation / FG, with enough patience.
Dave

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2021, 01:52:01 pm »
Thanks for the recipe.  Looks like a good one.  Based on it...

I stand by my previous numbers.  They should be almost completely dead on.  9.3% ABV.  And/or maybe 1.024 and 9.2%.  Close to that.

Thanks for your input.
This recipe is taken from North Coast RIS, but a lot more base malt was added. About 8 lbs total extra base malt, 4 lbs Pale, 4 lbs Munich. My goal was to hit north of 10% ABV. But, we can live with 9.3% +/-.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 02:22:06 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 01:54:58 pm »

In my experience, pitch rate is important to minimize lag time and get to the goal faster, while minimizing off-flavors.... but should not affect attenuation / FG, with enough patience.

The yeast is fresh, being harvested about a month ago from an English Porter. Got it going yesterday, with added fresh wort, and today with more wort. It looks very good, and active. About 1/2 gallon slurry in a 6 gallon batch. And the aroma from this yeast is to die for!

edit: Yes, I know...another example of over-pitching. But it works for me!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 01:56:35 pm by TXFlyGuy »