Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast London Ale  (Read 2408 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Wyeast London Ale
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 02:23:11 pm »
I agree with the ballpark numbers from Denny and Dave. One other crucial factor is the yeast pitch. Fresh,  big, and healthy will get you a lot closer to the mid to low 1.020s FG

In my experience, pitch rate is important to minimize lag time and get to the goal faster, while minimizing off-flavors.... but should not affect attenuation / FG, with enough patience.

I agree, given a sufficient and healthy pitch.  Pitching too little or unhealthy yeast will affect FG.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 05:35:27 pm »
I agree with the ballpark numbers from Denny and Dave. One other crucial factor is the yeast pitch. Fresh,  big, and healthy will get you a lot closer to the mid to low 1.020s FG

In my experience, pitch rate is important to minimize lag time and get to the goal faster, while minimizing off-flavors.... but should not affect attenuation / FG, with enough patience.

I agree, given a sufficient and healthy pitch.  Pitching too little or unhealthy yeast will affect FG.

Not sure if this is an indicator or not, but within 3 hours of pitching the yeast, there are signs of healthy activity. C02 discharging from my blow-off tube! I think the yeast is healthy, and sufficient!

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2021, 07:39:54 pm »
I have brewed a nearly identical recipe (but no special B) and have gotten 1.087 ->1.023, 1.092->1.024, 1.093->1.023, 1.092->1.029. I did a single rest at 152 F. All were stunningly delicious!
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 07:42:03 pm »
I have brewed a nearly identical recipe (but no special B) and have gotten 1.087 ->1.023, 1.092->1.024, 1.093->1.023, 1.092->1.029. I did a single rest at 152 F. All were stunningly delicious!

Wow, that is good to know! Hope mine turns out as good as yours.
Did you consume this beer right away, or did you give it a chance to age?

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 07:47:13 pm »
It was good right away but did improve with age. I just noticed two important differences: I made a 5 gallon batch with 10 lbs of pale malt and the same amounts of specialty malts as you (but I didn't use Special B) so my flavors were stronger. I also used WLP028 Scottish Ale Yeast because I like to use it for stouts.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2021, 01:18:24 pm »
20 hours later, the yeast / ferment is working like a steam engine locomotive pulling 100 cars of freight up a steep grade...chug, chug, chug, chug, blowing steam with every compression stroke!

The indicators are the beer should do well. But as this is a first for me, we will have to wait and see. The plan is to put some aging on this, probably 10 months.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2021, 01:32:46 pm »
20 hours later, the yeast / ferment is working like a steam engine locomotive pulling 100 cars of freight up a steep grade...chug, chug, chug, chug, blowing steam with every compression stroke!

The indicators are the beer should do well. But as this is a first for me, we will have to wait and see. The plan is to put some aging on this, probably 10 months.

Expansion stroke.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2021, 02:24:22 pm »

Hey, do you use brewing software? I think you might have mentioned before, but I can't remember.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2021, 04:09:33 pm »

Expansion stroke.

Yes, and I stand corrected!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2021, 04:11:45 pm »

Hey, do you use brewing software? I think you might have mentioned before, but I can't remember.

Short answer, no. I did use a recipe builder (Brewer's Friend) for this one, just to get an idea of the grain bill.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2021, 07:37:47 pm »

i don't think it's popular here, but i've been using Brewtarget for over a decade now to plan out recipes. it's free and very easy to install. I'm not sure if it's still updated, and if you googled you might find newer and more popular free brewing software. It takes dialing in and customizing the boil/mash settings but now that I have it down, I can plan recipes out really easily and well. TBH I couldn't imagine brewing without the software like that.

Short answer, no. I did use a recipe builder (Brewer's Friend) for this one, just to get an idea of the grain bill.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2021, 08:08:33 pm »

Expansion stroke.

Hey, I wandered by some old huge stationary steam engines at the Henry Ford yesterday. Those were between the Tiffany glass and racing special exhibits.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2021, 05:14:51 am »

Expansion stroke.

Hey, I wandered by some old huge stationary steam engines at the Henry Ford yesterday. Those were between the Tiffany glass and racing special exhibits.
When I was a little kid, my dad took me to that museum.  I was really impressed with the size of the machines.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2021, 05:25:56 am »

Expansion stroke.

When I was a little kid, my dad took me to that museum.  I was really impressed with the size of the.....

That's what she said.