Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Diamond Lager Yeast  (Read 4153 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Diamond Lager Yeast
« on: April 01, 2021, 01:24:27 pm »
Never used this before, but now have 5 packets, with short term life spans. I will use these soon.

The yeast is very hard, like it is a solid cake. Like a Hershey candy bar. Every other dry yeast used has been a fine powder, easily sprinkled onto the wort.

How do you make this Diamond work? Soak it in wort, and make a starter?

It is like a mini-brick of yeast. Is this normal?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Diamond Lager Yeast
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 01:27:12 pm »
Once opened, it acts like other dry yeast, just sprinkle in. They must have cranked the vacuum sealer up to 11.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 02:01:26 pm »
Never used this before, but now have 5 packets, with short term life spans. I will use these soon.

The yeast is very hard, like it is a solid cake. Like a Hershey candy bar. Every other dry yeast used has been a fine powder, easily sprinkled onto the wort.

No, it's not normal.  Wonder if it's related to the fact that it seems to have been around for a while?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 02:50:42 pm »
So I had to go check the fridge. Diamond with a 10/2021 date is a very tight pack. BRY-97 is that way too, 3/21 expiration. I will use BRY-97 later, it will be farther out of date, so I will pitch an extra pack.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 03:29:44 pm »

The mini brick thing is normal for that brand.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 04:32:27 pm »

Just to be clear, are you talking about the packs, or the granules of yeast themselves after opening the packet? As others have mentioned,  the newer Lallemand packets seem to be vacuum sealed pretty tightly. Once you cut them open, the granules should flow freely just like Fermentis packets.

If it's still a brick after opening, I'd be concerned.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 05:51:52 pm »

Just to be clear, are you talking about the packs, or the granules of yeast themselves after opening the packet? As others have mentioned,  the newer Lallemand packets seem to be vacuum sealed pretty tightly. Once you cut them open, the granules should flow freely just like Fermentis packets.

The packs, very hard, like a rock. Not opened. We will see tomorrow as it’s a big brew day. May use the Diamond as my 8 month old slurry seems to be going nowhere. Looks good, huge head on it, smells good, but little activity in the airlock.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 07:39:20 pm »

The packs, very hard, like a rock. Not opened. We will see tomorrow as it’s a big brew day. May use the Diamond as my 8 month old slurry seems to be going nowhere. Looks good, huge head on it, smells good, but little activity in the airlock.

that's the way lallemand packs them.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 04:44:25 am »
Next question for the experts here, do you direct pitch the Diamond, or re-hydrate? Normally I direct pitch dry yeast.

Online BrewBama

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 06:05:36 am »
The packs will be hard until opened.  After opening it’s just like any other dry yeast.

I treat Lager yeast and Ale yeast the same: pitch it in as the fermenter is filling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 06:55:22 am »
The packs will be hard until opened.  After opening it’s just like any other dry yeast.

I treat Lager yeast and Ale yeast the same: pitch it in as the fermenter is filling.

Thanks. That’s what I will do.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 12:51:54 pm »
I remember when they made the switch a few years ago to vacuum sealing their dry yeast. I forget exactly but pretty sure it was a string of Notthingham they had some quality issues with and the thought process was if they yeast sachet becomes soft, the seal has been compromised...a simple indicator and peace of mind. Kind of like the vacuum seal pop up button on a food jar.

Aside from that I will note that Lallemand yeasts have higher pitching rate recommendations, say than Fermentis. Something to keep in mind with brewing Lagers and especially if your yeast is presumably old or nearly expired. Use up them extra packs, Diamond Lager is a pretty damn fine Dry Yeast.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 01:38:23 pm »
Next question for the experts here, do you direct pitch the Diamond, or re-hydrate? Normally I direct pitch dry yeast.

I direct pitch.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2021, 01:59:59 pm »
Are we treating dry yeast differently per manufacturer? How complicated is it?  ???
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 06:17:31 pm by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2021, 03:23:03 pm »
Are we treating. Dry yeast differently per manufacturer? How complicated is it?  ???

I don't, but I take your point. 

www.dennybrew.com