Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oktoberfest Yeast  (Read 2321 times)

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
Re: Oktoberfest Yeast
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 11:35:13 am »
Thanks for the advice.  I went with WY 2352.  I made a Helles this past weekend to use as starter for the 10 gallon Oktoberfest I plan to brew in a month.
 The helles is fermenting nicely at 54F degrees as Wyeast suggests 52F-62F.  I'm looking forward to trying that and even more excited to get the Oktoberfest brewed as it is one of my favorite styles.
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 04:48:57 pm »
Wyeast 2352, eh?  That's a rare release.  Most of us have never tried that one.  Hope it turns out for you.  My guess is it will be similar to like WLP820... which is okay but not a favorite due to its low attenuation.  I hope I'm wrong and/or you like it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 06:45:44 pm »
I recently scored a fresh pouch of 2352 and brewed a helles with it, which I'm kegging on Wednesday. I've never used it before, fingers are crossed. I've read that 2352 is functionally, if not phylogenetically, the same as Imperial Harvest, which I like.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 10:27:31 am »
Wyeast 2352, eh?  That's a rare release.  Most of us have never tried that one.  Hope it turns out for you.  My guess is it will be similar to like WLP820... which is okay but not a favorite due to its low attenuation.  I hope I'm wrong and/or you like it.

tbh Im ready for a lower attenuating lager yeast. I dont find most highly attenuated lagers as desirable as most it seems.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 10:30:48 am »

tbh Im ready for a lower attenuating lager yeast. I dont find most highly attenuated lagers as desirable as most it seems.

Taste is subjective, that's for sure.

One thing interesting I have found about S-189, which is my current favorite, is that although it ferments up to 79% attenuation which seems pretty high, it still results in a sweeter tasting beer in your mouth, but the finish is dry.  Just about perfect in my opinion.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2021, 10:38:47 am »

Taste is subjective, that's for sure.

One thing interesting I have found about S-189, which is my current favorite, is that although it ferments up to 79% attenuation which seems pretty high, it still results in a sweeter tasting beer in your mouth, but the finish is dry.  Just about perfect in my opinion.

Ive used 3470 and s-189 each a handful of times and I agree, s-189 has always made a better beer for me

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2021, 11:14:04 am »

I just kegged a bock made with it.  It was the Wyeast seasonal release for the first quarter of the year. Might still be some around.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell