Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast - how old is too old?  (Read 751 times)

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
Yeast - how old is too old?
« on: April 01, 2021, 03:13:23 pm »
I've got 3 packs of yeast. One super fresh, one that's just about past it viablity date, and one that is way past being viable - it's so far gone it's changed colors.

When doing a 1L yeast starter, would it help, hurt, or not matter if I pitch all three?

They're all the same strain from White Labs.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: Yeast - how old is too old?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 03:26:01 pm »
The first two are fine. I wouldn't pitch the one that has changed colors. I'm guessing it's gray? That means it's mostly dead yeast, which tastes terrible. That off-flavor could carry over into the beer. It's still useful, though--you should taste it to learn what autolyzed yeast tastes like.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 04:14:37 pm »
If you're just making a 1L starter I'd either use the older, but still viable one and save the fresh one, or just use the fresh one and toss the other two. You won't gain anything by pitching more packs into a 1L starter.

As far as the past date one goes, if you're really frugal you can try to save it by making a starter with it, letting the trub start to settle, then decanting the liquid portion only into a new starter. It's not a surefire method, but I've used it with some success for things like limited release strains that I forgot about and can't get any more.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 07:08:08 pm »
If you're just making a 1L starter I'd either use the older, but still viable one and save the fresh one, or just use the fresh one and toss the other two. You won't gain anything by pitching more packs into a 1L starter.

I'm going to use the still viable pack in a starter and save the fresh one. I'm using wlp095 Burlington Ale for an IPA tomorrow. I'm intrested to see how that yeast strain would work in a wheat beer.

Thanks for the help!