Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rye Cream Ale?  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Rye Cream Ale?
« on: April 05, 2021, 12:14:01 pm »
I've never gotten the mythical Rye "spice" (at least not at the below %) so I ask, would Rye actually add anything?

70% 2-Row
18% Pale Rye
12% Flaked Corn
Corn Sugar?

15-20 IBU's Bravo

BRY-97

I'm making a Cream Ale in a couple of weeks and the intention was to just stick to my usual recipe. However, I noticed my Rye Malt looking a bit forlorn sitting on the end of the bench.  Thoughts?  Good idea or should I let the Rye sit a bit longer?

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Rye Cream Ale?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 12:16:19 pm »
Ha! I brew a very similar beer every summer. I love it! The rye is mild but noticeable in my version.

65% pilsner
20% flaked corn
15% rye

amarillo hops for 18 IBUs

BRY97 or 05

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 12:20:10 pm by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 12:26:40 pm »
I use 25% in my Rye IPA and get a noticeable tang. I'd imagine the same would hold true with other light bodied beers.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 12:41:48 pm »
I currently have a 20% rye pale ale on tap.  At that amount the rye is very noticeable in both flavor and mouthfeel.  Maybe it's the rye malt you're using?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 01:01:12 pm »
I currently have a 20% rye pale ale on tap.  At that amount the rye is very noticeable in both flavor and mouthfeel.  Maybe it's the rye malt you're using?

Definitely possible.  The most I've ever used is 20% in an IPA (actually, come to think of it, I've only ever used Rye in an IPA, gradually increasing the % each time).  Now that beer was all about the hops so *maybe* that's why I never detected any Rye kick.  Subtle spiciness wouldn't have made it through for sure. 

In a Cream Ale, the Rye really has no place to hide so if I try this, I should get an answer to your question.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 01:53:05 pm »
I've made numerous beers with 40-50% rye malt.  It is very mild in flavor, bready, slightly earthy, and not spicy.  Any spiciness probably comes from the hops, or perhaps the yeast.  What it does: super creamy head with outstanding retention, and a very heavy body.  In smaller amounts, you'll get the benefits on head and creaminess but without the very heavy body.

Note: It can also add a grayish hue and permanent haze to the beer in higher amounts.  Not like NEIPA, but a very strange soft muddy "sheen".  Still clear, but not as clear as you can get with zero rye.

I think 15-20% is a good place to start to see if you like the benefits, while limiting what it could do that might not be as desirable if you used more than that.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 02:18:49 pm »
I've made numerous beers with 40-50% rye malt.  It is very mild in flavor, bready, slightly earthy, and not spicy.  Any spiciness probably comes from the hops, or perhaps the yeast.  What it does: super creamy head with outstanding retention, and a very heavy body.  In smaller amounts, you'll get the benefits on head and creaminess but without the very heavy body.

Note: It can also add a grayish hue and permanent haze to the beer in higher amounts.  Not like NEIPA, but a very strange soft muddy "sheen".  Still clear, but not as clear as you can get with zero rye.

I think 15-20% is a good place to start to see if you like the benefits, while limiting what it could do that might not be as desirable if you used more than that.

Hmm...I'm looking for crisp(ish) and clear so maybe a Cream Ale isn't the ideal vehicle to showcase Rye Malt.  Sounds like it would be best used in a Porter.  :D

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 02:40:53 pm »

Gotta disagree Dave.  The rye beer I have on tap now is definitely spicy.  No mistaking it.  Maybe it's the rye malt you're using

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 02:44:14 pm »

Gotta disagree Dave.  The rye beer I have on tap now is definitely spicy.  No mistaking it.  Maybe it's the rye malt you're using

I agree. I get an earthy, spicy, and almost tannic character from rye.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 02:55:10 pm »

Hmm...I'm looking for crisp(ish) and clear so maybe a Cream Ale isn't the ideal vehicle to showcase Rye Malt.  Sounds like it would be best used in a Porter.  :D
I did a rye porter and added some caraway to it; turned out real good.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 02:59:45 pm »
I think a lot of people think caraway when they think of rye malt, but it is because of the use of caraway in rye breads.  I agree the melding of those flavors could make an outstanding porter, however.  But rye malt alone gets me to perceive some spiciness, when used in a large enough quantity.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2021, 04:34:16 pm »
I don’t doubt different maltsters will produce different Rye malts. Seems pretty obvious given the fact not even all 2-rows taste the same to me. Who makes the best Rye would seem to be dependent on what it is you want the Rye to do.

I decided to throw a small handful of Rye grains in my mouth for a long, deliberate taste test.
One, this is not an exercise I would recommend.  ;D
Two, I am getting bready like most base malts.  But there is definitely a little something that develops after a minute or two.  Is it spice?  Definitely not like pepper, or Rye bread, or saison yeast, or nutty, or hot.  A few mentioned “earthy” and if I squint I might see that.  But to me it’s just a bit different.  Sharp...that might be the word I would use.  Of course this test is a million miles away from a finished beer so who knows if that would even show up at the end.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 05:23:51 pm by Megary »

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2021, 05:11:04 pm »
I don’t doubt different malt steers will produce different Rye malts. Seems pretty obvious given the fact not even all 2-rows taste the same to me. Who makes the best Rye would seem to be dependent on what it is you want the Rye to do.

I decided to throw a small handful of Rye grains in my mouth for a long, deliberate taste test.
Two, I am getting bready like most base malts.  But there is definitely a little something that develops after a minute or two.  Is it spice?  Definitely not like pepper, or Rye bread, or saison yeast, or nutty, or hot.  A few mentioned “earthy” and if I squint I might see that.  But to me it’s just a bit different.  Sharp...that might be the word I would use.  Of course this test is a million miles away from a finished beer so who knows if that would even show up at the end.

And not just different maltsters....different varieties of grain, too.

You might find this useful....https://craftmalting.com/malt-sensory/

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2021, 05:33:22 pm »
I don’t doubt different malt steers will produce different Rye malts. Seems pretty obvious given the fact not even all 2-rows taste the same to me. Who makes the best Rye would seem to be dependent on what it is you want the Rye to do.

And not just different maltsters....different varieties of grain, too.

You might find this useful....https://craftmalting.com/malt-sensory/
I’ve done a bunch of mini steeps on many of the malts I use.  (I’ve learned a LOT about not only the malts, but also my tastes!)  Rye, however, was not one of those that I nano-mashed.  That will change this weekend as I’ll steep 2-row (as a control), Rye and maybe some Pale Wheat. 

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2021, 10:06:56 pm »
I think a lot of people think caraway when they think of rye malt, but it is because of the use of caraway in rye breads.  I agree the melding of those flavors could make an outstanding porter, however.
That's exactly why I used it.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women