Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 12 Craft Beers That Taste Like … Beer!  (Read 4618 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: 12 Craft Beers That Taste Like … Beer!
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2021, 05:48:24 am »
See old rasputin to me tasted like sewage run off. That's one beer I can vividly remember dumping down the drain

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

lol, ive never tasted it before. details? too much burnt? too sweet?

Old Rasputin is one of the great beers of the world IMO.  Someone may not like it, but it is a perfectly constructed, delicious beer, flawlessly brewed.  It's about the only stout I drink.

lol
Can you share the joke with the class? I can’t figure out what you are laughing about.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2021, 10:16:33 am »
See old rasputin to me tasted like sewage run off. That's one beer I can vividly remember dumping down the drain

Old Rasputin is one of the great beers of the world IMO.  Someone may not like it, but it is a perfectly constructed, delicious beer, flawlessly brewed.  It's about the only stout I drink.

lol
Can you share the joke with the class? I can’t figure out what you are laughing about.

sometimes i feel like im one of the very, very few who actually enjoys pretty much all stouts and can drink them all the time. i feel like a standard american stout is one of the safest bets at an unknown brewery

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2021, 10:40:15 am »

lol

sometimes i feel like im one of the very, very few who actually enjoys pretty much all stouts and can drink them all the time. i feel like a standard american stout is one of the safest bets at an unknown brewery
You can hide a lot under a crap-ton of roasted malt, that's for sure.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2021, 11:27:34 am »
I like a good stout and drink them fairly often except in the hotter months. I do think there are plenty of bad ones out there and I definitly buy OR more than any other. I find a lot of Imperial stouts and milk stouts cloyingly sweet and/or are trying too hard and have added flavors or are wood aged unskillfully.
I would agree with Fred that dry stouts tend to be pretty consistently safe bets.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2021, 11:28:04 am »

lol

"Crap-ton"?  I guess that's a relative term.  But I get your point.

I drink a lot of Stout, by far my favorite style. And in my opinion, Stout is not unlike any other beer style...there are good ones and bad ones.  A lot of that is just personal preference, of course. 

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2021, 11:30:10 am »
I like a good stout and drink them fairly often except in the hotter months. I do think there are plenty of bad ones out there and I definitly buy OR more than any other. I find a lot of Imperial stouts and milk stouts cloyingly sweet and/or are trying too hard and have added flavors or are wood aged unskillfully.
I would agree with Fred that dry stouts tend to be pretty consistently safe bets.

I think a Dry Stout is a perfect summer beer!  Very poundable.
No lime of course.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2021, 04:21:49 pm »

yup, im trying to get into new mixes of roasted malts lately. every time i make a new porter/stout beer. this coming fall im def doing a lot. ive really gotten down something that goes with a full lb of brown malt, 3/4lb of chocolate and some crystal in 5gal. it ends up as a porter, but i dont see much reason to change that one, it is my go-to base for intensely chewy more-burnt-than-darkchocolate flavour.

i haven't even tried pale chocolate yet.

and yes, stouts are relatively very forgiving beers to homebrew. i drink beer for myself to enjoy. ive got some chops, but im not one to spend my homebrew energy on a technically perfect BJCP CAP (that isn't even a style there anymore is it?)

yeah, i didn't want to say "dry stout", though that is my default style, as american stout potentially encompasses anything from a dry stout up to 6% stout with sweet notes. anything in that range is usually good, though as you said the downfall is almost ALWAYS either -not enough high lov. roasted grains -too low IBU -too much crystal. the first two are money-saving attempts, the last is just poor taste.

i love stouts but hate most milk stouts/sweet flavoured (ie. blueberry/vanilla/etc) ones.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2021, 07:23:14 pm »

yup, im trying to get into new mixes of roasted malts lately. every time i make a new porter/stout beer. this coming fall im def doing a lot. ive really gotten down something that goes with a full lb of brown malt, 3/4lb of chocolate and some crystal in 5gal. it ends up as a porter, but i dont see much reason to change that one, it is my go-to base for intensely chewy more-burnt-than-darkchocolate flavour.

i haven't even tried pale chocolate yet.

and yes, stouts are relatively very forgiving beers to homebrew. i drink beer for myself to enjoy. ive got some chops, but im not one to spend my homebrew energy on a technically perfect BJCP CAP (that isn't even a style there anymore is it?)

yeah, i didn't want to say "dry stout", though that is my default style, as american stout potentially encompasses anything from a dry stout up to 6% stout with sweet notes. anything in that range is usually good, though as you said the downfall is almost ALWAYS either -not enough high lov. roasted grains -too low IBU -too much crystal. the first two are money-saving attempts, the last is just poor taste.

i love stouts but hate most milk stouts/sweet flavoured (ie. blueberry/vanilla/etc) ones.
Fred what does brown malt bring to the table? I have some just haven't used it yet

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2021, 10:55:43 pm »

Fred what does brown malt bring to the table? I have some just haven't used it yet

[/quote]

i have not used it by itself yet, but i used to make porters with 1lb chocolate, 1lb crystal. ive used brown malt with chocolate three times now, and it just feels like a very complete range of coffee/very dark chocolate flavours without excessive final gravity or heaviness. i can't go back to just chocolate malt without this supporting it, as it just feels 2d.

so brown is only ~70 LOV, but it is sort of at the final end of roast before the "harsh zone" which then exits around the coffee/pale chocolate malt level. i was on the verge of making a brown ale with brown malt as the centrepiece, but went with this tried and true combo.

there are lots of descriptions out there as "intense roasted malt" "coffee beans", theyre all sort of accurate to a degree, but i just find it a great supporter.