Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rye Cream Ale?  (Read 1895 times)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
Re: Rye Cream Ale?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 08:30:24 am »
I just brewed a Kentucky Common (Dark Cream Ale) this weekend. It had about 17.5% Rye Malt in it. First time using Rye but I figure it will come across in a lighter beer much more than anything else. I was just looking to add something different so I'm looking forward to trying it. I will say even with rice hulls, recirculation and run off was quite a bit slower than usual, not a stuck mash but can definitely tell it was a sticky grain bed. When I was done and dumped the mash, I could of packed it into balls like good wet snow.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 09:03:53 am »
I just brewed a Kentucky Common (Dark Cream Ale) this weekend. It had about 17.5% Rye Malt in it. First time using Rye but I figure it will come across in a lighter beer much more than anything else. I was just looking to add something different so I'm looking forward to trying it. I will say even with rice hulls, recirculation and run off was quite a bit slower than usual, not a stuck mash but can definitely tell it was a sticky grain bed. When I was done and dumped the mash, I could of packed it into balls like good wet snow.

I've gone as high as 40% rye and never had any problems.  Just depends on your lauter design.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 10:30:19 am »
I love rye in my pale ales, IPAs and saisons, to me it doesn’t taste spicy, it tastes earthy and improves mouthfeel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 06:34:27 am »

I've gone as high as 40% rye and never had any problems.  Just depends on your lauter design.

No problem, nor implying it would be...just an observation first time using it. I use a Brewzilla, full volume mash single perforated stainless steel screen at the bottom. Quite a thick (tall) grain bed to get through.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 06:44:20 am »

Which Maltster's the malt did you use?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2021, 08:56:30 am »

Which Maltster's the malt did you use?

Couldn't tell ya. Not sure what the LHBS carries for Rye Malt. He carries a mix of major brands, perhaps this was Briess.