Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Memphis Tennessee License to Brew Beer  (Read 898 times)

Offline J.De

• 1st Kit
Memphis Tennessee License to Brew Beer
« on: April 05, 2021, 12:35:01 pm »
Good afternoon. I cant get an answer from our city or state so I figured I could come here to see if I can find help on understanding about the laws of brewing beer and selling it at a bar.

Can anyone help me find out the laws about brewing and selling beer in Memphis at a bar that sells liquor as well.

Sorry if this has been asked but didn't know where else to go.

Thanks you.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Memphis Tennessee License to Brew Beer
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 12:40:24 pm »
Good afternoon. I cant get an answer from our city or state so I figured I could come here to see if I can find help on understanding about the laws of brewing beer and selling it at a bar.

Can anyone help me find out the laws about brewing and selling beer in Memphis at a bar that sells liquor as well.

Sorry if this has been asked but didn't know where else to go.

Thanks you.

Sounds like you need advice from a lawyer, not homebrewers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline J.De

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 12:51:05 pm »
Figured some homebreweres already have dealt with lawyers and have the laws to go by and short cuts to help their fellow brew friends.

I'll try that and thanks Denny. Appreciate you having me here.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 02:20:54 pm »
You could also ask any similar business in Memphis, if there are any.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 02:46:59 pm »
 Definitely a state by state kind of thing.  You should consult someone specific to Tennessee (a lawyer or the Tennessee level of the BATF or its equivalent), if that is where you plan to "go pro".  There is a category segment on this forum about going pro that might help you gather general information that will answer some of your questions at the start...good luck and Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 03:08:23 pm »
No state has anything close to a "cottage" liquor industry. It varies by state but it pretty uniformly requires a lot of hoop-jumping with the state and federal regulators. Selling homebrew at a bar is a nonstarter, full stop.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 03:29:38 pm »
I guess I should have clarified - there are brewpubs that have the license to sell the beer they brew and in some states, if you were to brew for such a business, you could brew at their site with their equipment and they could sell the beer you made there.  Again, it is a state by state thing.  I am in Illinois, which just a few years back was crazy about imposing the prohibition on sharing homebrew outside of one's home, but after some lobbying, there are looser rules such that there are now places that can actually allow persons to brew for them (with them, technically, I guess) and then the business can sell the brews that are made in that process (which are then not considered homebrew, despite the small batch, one off nature of the process.)

Just know that the hoops mentioned are many and the licensing is something that somebody will have to go through and that process is not cheap.  Distributing and labeling is a whole 'nother universe to the hoops...but good luck with your dream!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 05:05:23 pm »
Yeah I guess I don't really know what OP is trying to do. There are some brew on premise businesses, and proam collaborations with breweries. I think either way you're using a license, just someone else's license.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.