Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Next Fermenter  (Read 4428 times)

Offline ALS Brewing

• 1st Kit
Next Fermenter
« on: April 06, 2021, 07:22:21 am »
Ive been using a carboy for a while and I feel like I’m ready for the next step. I’d like to go pro eventually. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Anvil crucible fermenter or the grainfather fermenter?

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: Next Fermenter
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 07:35:25 am »
I recently bought a chapman 7 gallon with a 1/2 valve.

After shopping around for SS fermenters, I found that most of them were very expensive and made in china. So I figured if I'm going to pay for something that is already cheaply made why would I spend 500 dollars on it.

I like the chapman 7 gallon because it is inexpensive you can boil and chill and ferment in the same vessel. So many reasons why this is a great practice but sanitation being my main reason. Then you can close pressure transfer with it.

If your just getting into fermenters outside of a carboy I would check this one out or I would also look into fermenting in a corny keg.

I have never done it so I don't have much first hand experience but I'm sure there are plenty on this forum who have

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 07:50:41 am »
I recently bought a chapman 7 gallon with a 1/2 valve.

After shopping around for SS fermenters, I found that most of them were very expensive and made in china. So I figured if I'm going to pay for something that is already cheaply made why would I spend 500 dollars on it.

I like the chapman 7 gallon because it is inexpensive you can boil and chill and ferment in the same vessel. So many reasons why this is a great practice but sanitation being my main reason. Then you can close pressure transfer with it.

If your just getting into fermenters outside of a carboy I would check this one out or I would also look into fermenting in a corny keg.

I have never done it so I don't have much first hand experience but I'm sure there are plenty on this forum who have

I have two SS Brewtech conicals (half barrel and quarter barrel) here and they are great.  Yes they are made in China, but the craftsmanship on them is excellent and I have never had any problems with them.  Yes they are a bit pricey but are less expensive than some of the others on the market.

Also Blichmann conicals are made by Toledo Metal Spinning , at least they used to be, which is in Toledo, Ohio.  But they were way more expensive when I was looking to buy.  SS Brewtech has a good reputation and quality products which steered me to them.  I had to wait a few months before I got my first one (the half barrel one) but the wait was worth it.  Now you can get them through More Beer.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 08:00:08 am »
I find this conversation so interesting because I have gone the complete opposite direction: I am looking at a 3 gal fermenter to supplement my 7 gal fermenter for my small batches.

Just goes to show how we all have different goals and purposes for our interest.

I saw a guy on YouTube yesterday lay out a cost benefit analysis for home brewing beer vs buying commercial beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 08:03:51 am »
I have 3 Grainfather fermenters and their glycol chiller.  I find them to be well built, effective, reliable and easy to use.  The chiller can run 4 fermenters and I my end up buying another one.  Excellent gear.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 08:04:56 am »
I find this conversation so interesting because I have gone the complete opposite direction: I am looking at a 3 gal fermenter to supplement my 7 gal fermenter for my small batches.

Just goes to show how we all have different goals and purposes for our interest.

I saw a guy on YouTube yesterday lay out a cost benefit analysis for home brewing beer vs buying commercial beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I always say, homebrewing to save money on beer is like buying a boat to save money on fish.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 08:06:37 am »
One of the less expensive stainless fermenters are the Chapman's (I have 2 fifteen gallon models from years ago; both are fitted with the 1/2" ball valve).  Also at a reasonable price point in stainless are the SS Brewbuckets (conical in form, but no bottom dump).  I have two of those in 7 gallon size with thermowell (which is handy if you fit it with heat or external cooling at some point).  Finally, there are pressure capable fermenters - the Kegmenter and the Kegland All Rounder are two fine examples.  I use those with floating dip tubes and really like the results and the ability to use a spunding valve and carbonate with a closed system transfer to the serving keg.  Just a few things to consider.  Of course the buy once, cry once approach would suggest the full blown pressurizable conicals out there with bottom dump valves or the Grainfather jacketed conicals with a very unique bottom valve set up.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 09:20:24 am »
Just about ready to buy a Fermzilla All Rounder. Can't hack lifting full Cornies into the keezer anymore, so pressure transfers are my #1 reason. The ability to pressure ferment pressure ferment also a plus and it's a good fit for my fermentation fridge.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 09:38:52 am »
Just about any stainless fermenter you buy anywhere is ultimately made in China. I would't let that hinder my purchase.

If you can affor a stainless conical great. They have their downsides too though. I like the large opening plastic carboys like the "Big Mouth Bubbler" ... easier to move that a conical and fits in most freezers or fridges. The only way I'd consider a stainless conical is if I had the glycol system to go with it.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 09:51:36 am »
I use this jacket for my stainless and plastic fermenters (minifridge hooked up with a small pail of glycol and the small submersible pump).  It works really well in temperatures up to 80 ambient (cooling to 52 or so); I haven't tried cold crashing though....

http://www.gotta-brew.com/products/cool-zone-cooling-jacket.html

Cheers.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 09:58:08 am »
I recently found a large scratch inside my Big Mouth Bubbler. The scratch had some stains around it (I wasn’t sure exactly what the stains were). I decided to retire it.  It served me well for years.

For right now at least I moved to a white plastic bucket. I kind of like it. Cheap and easy. I like the old school handle for lifting it in and out of my chest freezer.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 10:01:44 am »
I use this jacket for my stainless and plastic fermenters (minifridge hooked up with a small pail of glycol and the small submersible pump).  It works really well in temperatures up to 80 ambient (cooling to 52 or so); I haven't tried cold crashing though....

http://www.gotta-brew.com/products/cool-zone-cooling-jacket.html

Cheers.

I need to look into something like that. I have a plastic conical (Fermzilla) that won't fit in any options I currently have.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 10:32:24 am »
I use a large insulated bag-type container for extra room, as the one that comes with it is tight on all but narrow fermenters.  I had this one for fermenting warm during cool months, but it works great both ways:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/cool-brewing-fermentation-cooler-bag.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwjbCDBhAwEiwAiudByw64YxkQj2CPaLiRvPz4m8iNVpcHr8U1m6Jtl1PlkxyIckj-fG7P1xoCwiMQAvD_BwE

Any similar homemade insulated box or bag would work equally as well, I am sure.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 11:48:44 am »
I recently started using an old corny keg for a fermenter. It's great and really cheap.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline ALS Brewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 01:45:28 pm »
Thank you all for the feedback, I think I’m gonna go with a spike.