Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Next Fermenter  (Read 4420 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Next Fermenter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 03:30:16 pm »
Thank you all for the feedback, I think I’m gonna go with a spike.

I have 2 spikes, a 1bbl and a 1/2 barrel. They are well built pieces of equipment. I'm 99% they are made in Milwaukee, WI. You will not be disappointed! When used with a glycol chiller, its just like the big boi's

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 03:32:33 pm »
I find this conversation so interesting because I have gone the complete opposite direction: I am looking at a 3 gal fermenter to supplement my 7 gal fermenter for my small batches.

Just goes to show how we all have different goals and purposes for our interest.

I saw a guy on YouTube yesterday lay out a cost benefit analysis for home brewing beer vs buying commercial beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I always say, homebrewing to save money on beer is like buying a boat to save money on fish.

That is so funny, and true!

Like the new Chairman of the Bluebonnet Brewoff Competition told me a few days ago...there is no comparison between what we are brewing, vs. the commercial brewers.

Most commercial beers will score in the mid 30's with BJCP types. The BOS round at this year's Bluebonnet did not have a beer scored less than 39, with most being above 40 points. In other words, we as home brewers are blowing the big guys out of the water.

Just another reason to brew the beer you drink!

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 03:37:25 pm »
Just about ready to buy a Fermzilla All Rounder. Can't hack lifting full Cornies into the keezer anymore, so pressure transfers are my #1 reason. The ability to pressure ferment pressure ferment also a plus and it's a good fit for my fermentation fridge.

I'm also considering the Fermzilla All Rounder.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 06:53:59 am »
Just about ready to buy a Fermzilla All Rounder. Can't hack lifting full Cornies into the keezer anymore, so pressure transfers are my #1 reason. The ability to pressure ferment pressure ferment also a plus and it's a good fit for my fermentation fridge.

I'm also considering the Fermzilla All Rounder.

Delta Brewing Systems is what we have, 8 gallon conical ferment vessels. We own three of these, plus 3 Anvil 4 Gallon feremters, and two plastic Genesis fermenters.

The Delta's are the best. You can pressure transfer easily with these! Plus they incorporate a dump valve on the bottom, making it easy to harvest your yeast.

https://www.deltabrewingsystems.com/collections/bundle

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 09:15:36 am »
I find this conversation so interesting because I have gone the complete opposite direction: I am looking at a 3 gal fermenter to supplement my 7 gal fermenter for my small batches.

Just goes to show how we all have different goals and purposes for our interest.

I saw a guy on YouTube yesterday lay out a cost benefit analysis for home brewing beer vs buying commercial beer.

As I always say, homebrewing to save money on beer is like buying a boat to save money on fish.

Like the new Chairman of the Bluebonnet Brewoff Competition told me a few days ago...there is no comparison between what we are brewing, vs. the commercial brewers.

Most commercial beers will score in the mid 30's with BJCP types. The BOS round at this year's Bluebonnet did not have a beer scored less than 39, with most being above 40 points. In other words, we as home brewers are blowing the big guys out of the water.

Anyone who thinks commercial beer would necessarily score that low is drinking the wrong commercial beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2021, 09:24:09 am »

Anyone who thinks commercial beer would necessarily score that low is drinking the wrong commercial beer.

Couldn't agree more
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2021, 11:02:16 am »
Both home and commercial beers have their advantages. A beer that has sat warm on a store shelf for weeks or months might not favor as well next to a fresh homebrew that has been stored cold and has ben packaged very carefully. I've tasted a lot of bad commercial beer from brewers who had no idea what they were doing ... I've tasted a lot of bad homebrewed beer from brewers who had no idea what they were doing ...

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2021, 02:12:37 pm »

Couldn't agree more

The reviews were published in Draft Magazine. An industry publication. I subscribed to it. Read it for yourself. Then come back here and say they tried the wrong beer.

Hint: The beers reviewed were NOT from Bud-Mil-Coors.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 02:32:01 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2021, 02:43:30 pm »

Couldn't agree more

The reviews were published in Draft Magazine. An industry publication. I subscribed to it. Read it for yourself. Then come back here and say they tried the wrong beer.

Because it comes from a mag doesn't automatically give it credibility.  I'm very familiar with Draft.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2021, 02:55:10 pm »

Couldn't agree more

Because it comes from a mag doesn't automatically give it credibility.  I'm very familiar with Draft.
If you are trying to compare the homebrews in a best of show round of a large competition with an average commercial beer, then yeah, the homebrews will often win.  Some of the best beers I've ever had were from homebrew competitions, but also some of the worst.  Some were much less appetizing than even the worst commercial beer.  I've also had the pleasure to judge the bos of a few commercial competitions, all of which were stellar.  I can't say that the best homebrew is better than the best commercial beer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2021, 03:28:33 pm »
It's like arguing about art. Taste is subjective.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2021, 03:29:08 pm »

Couldn't agree more

They tried the wrong beers. You are brewing better beer so I wouldn't worry about it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 03:31:55 pm by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2021, 04:22:10 pm »
Since this was published in a magazine I'll take it as legit -- my Miracle Worker Belgian Tripel placed #8 in the world ---

https://www.pastemagazine.com/drink/best-belgian-tripel/36-of-the-best-belgian-tripels-blind-tasted-and-ra/#8-yellowhammer-brewing-miracle-worker

While is a really good beer and I am super proud of that ranking (considering many of the beers it beat out) it doesn't really mean that it is the 8th best tripel in the world. Only in that contest and in that setting/tasting arrangement/etc.

My point is that just because it is in a magazine doesn't make it gold standard. I've had lots of beers place and be recognized in magazines.

(this also gives me a chance to brag a little  :) )
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 04:23:46 pm by majorvices »

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2021, 04:45:59 pm »
Is anyone surprised commercial beer didn’t rate well in a home brew competition setting made by home brewers and judged by homebrewers?.

BJCP is a home brew thing. I’m pretty sure all those years ago iconic breweries like urquell etc werent worried about what home brewers across the ocean would think about their beer when planning their recipes.
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2021, 04:47:25 pm »
I'll add that another difference is that commercial beers are designed to sell to customers and homebrew competition beers are often brewed to style guidelines.  Different intent.