Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Milwaukee MA871 digital refractometer  (Read 1877 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Milwaukee MA871 digital refractometer
« on: April 08, 2021, 01:06:53 pm »
I just picked up a MA871.  Anybody here use one?  Got any tips?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: Milwaukee MA871 digital refractometer
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 10:20:04 am »
Congratulations to your new purchase.

I do not mean to rain on your parade. To my opinion EasyDens is much better option. I understand it is three times as much but still better option. I use it almost every day.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/easydens-anton-paar-1.html
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 10:43:02 am »
I owned this exact one for a while at the brewery. IIRC I dropped it and it broke. Ended up getting the Hanna. Regardless they are the exact same interface.

For best results take a sample with a pipette and let it cool for a bit before taking the reading. The sample is always off when you first put it on and it is hot in spite of the "ATC".

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 11:10:34 am »

I do not mean to rain on your parade. To my opinion EasyDens is much better option. I understand it is three times as much but still better option. I use it almost every day.

If I was a commercial brewer, thats what I would have gotten.  For my purposes it just isnt worth the cost.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 11:11:05 am »
I owned this exact one for a while at the brewery. IIRC I dropped it and it broke. Ended up getting the Hanna. Regardless they are the exact same interface.

For best results take a sample with a pipette and let it cool for a bit before taking the reading. The sample is always off when you first put it on and it is hot in spite of the "ATC".

Thanks for the tip, Keith!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 12:33:58 pm »

If I was a commercial brewer, thats what I would have gotten.  For my purposes it just isnt worth the cost.
I understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 04:53:09 pm »

I worked for a fairly large regional brewery for about 4 months last year -- 30 bbl, 3 vessel, internal colandria brewhouse. Pretty fun to run. But they use a sh!tty handheld refractometer for all hot side readings. I'm farsighted - can't see anything 3 feet in front of my face and struggled with the eyepiece on the hydrometer in the dark brewery. I begged them for just a digital refractometer but ... no. I would have been head over heals with an EasyDens.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 05:23:25 pm »

I worked for a fairly large regional brewery for about 4 months last year -- 30 bbl, 3 vessel, internal colandria brewhouse. Pretty fun to run. But they use a sh!tty handheld refractometer for all hot side readings. I'm farsighted - can't see anything 3 feet in front of my face and struggled with the eyepiece on the hydrometer in the dark brewery. I begged them for just a digital refractometer but ... no. I would have been head over heals with an EasyDens.
It is a great tool. I would not talk about it if it was not.

Before getting EasyDens I was using Plato hydrometer with temp adjustment scale. I wanted to get something different because reading hydrometer is not that accurate (even thou I was using finer scale hydrometers)

Tilt is not really an option for 15BBL fermenters.

I was considering Hanna Plato refracto meter but was not too exited about it. Then someone here mentioned EasyDens and that was it.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 05:52:44 pm »
I have the Tilt and it's great but I don't trust it for accuracy. The best thing about that is the temperature and knowing when the fermentation is done.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Milwaukee MA871 digital refractometer
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 07:51:19 pm »
I have the Tilt and it's great but I don't trust it for accuracy. The best thing about that is the temperature and knowing when the fermentation is done.

I use it to monitor progress, get temp, and determine completion then get my final gravity from an FG hydrometer. (2.5 and 5 gal. batches)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 07:54:09 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 09:07:54 am »

This is my experience, too.  I like the realtime *relative* data from the TILT, but I take separate OG and FG measurements for computing ABV.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.