Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Controlling grain dust  (Read 2508 times)

Offline byki1

• 1st Kit
Controlling grain dust
« on: April 08, 2021, 08:30:10 pm »
Hello All!
Any advise on use, purchase, or construction of a cyclone or dust separator/collector to mitigate grain dust during a crush?

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
Re: Controlling grain dust
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 04:46:32 am »
I grind mine outside, even in the winter. I wear a covid mask when adding grain to my mash tun.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 05:30:25 am »
Have you tried malt conditioned milling?  Moisten the grains with 1/10 the weight in water first.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 06:42:28 am »
The mill I have fits snugly over a bucket. A small amount of dust finds its way out but it is very small.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 07:21:38 am »
I grind my grain outside on the driveway in front of the house and both brew and transfer my wort into the fermenter on my patio on the back side of the house.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 07:23:53 am »
I grind mine outside, even in the winter. I wear a covid mask when adding grain to my mash tun.

Why do you wear a covid mask? What does that accomplish?  I'm not trying to be critical of you; I'm just curious.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 07:34:02 am »
Ditto with comments above:  my mill fits tightly on a bucket and I mill in the garage. I brew in the house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 08:23:10 am »

Why do you wear a covid mask? What does that accomplish?  I'm not trying to be critical of you; I'm just curious.

I don't think it's a huge deal, but you don't want to inhale a lot of grain dust.  I too always wear some sort of face covering when milling.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/pel88/graindst.html
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 10:42:39 am »
Have you tried malt conditioned milling?  Moisten the grains with 1/10 the weight in water first.

This is what I do since I mill and brew inside. No dust.
It takes about 5 min to do 15 pounds of grain, I do it while I'm waiting for some other process to complete so it doesn't add any time to my brew day.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 02:05:46 pm by mainebrewer »
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 12:28:26 pm »

Doesn't this leave a lot more gunk in the mill, though?
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline BrewBama

Controlling grain dust
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 01:10:40 pm »
If you use too much water it can leave build up on the rollers. Running dry grain thru the mill cleans it up after a cpl batches.

If you use the recommended amount to just soften the hull it won’t leave the build up. It’s not wet enough to.

Having said that I quit grain conditioning a cpl yrs ago. It fell into the PITA category for me.  I have a low PITA tolerance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 01:13:54 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 05:37:31 am »
My woodworking shop doubles as my brewery.  I combined the two hobbies when I built my mill table and included a a 4" dust collection port located behind the bucket used too collect the milled grain.  On brew day I connect a 2 stage dust collector to the port and then start the mill.  This eliminates dust completely.  I also have a whole shop air filter that can recirculated all the air in the room every 2-3 minutes that leave on anytime I'm pouring milled grain into the mash tun or measuring out grain for recipes.

This is complete over-kill but I already had the dust collectors so why not?

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 06:53:08 am »

Doesn't this leave a lot more gunk in the mill, though?

Look up malt conditioning.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 11:59:17 am »
Here is what I do. My mill is mounted to a table. There's a hole cut in the table under the mill for the grain to fall through. I went to the local Big box store and I picked up a vent outlet for a forced air heating system. In other words it's how you would mount a heating register to the heating duct work. I installed this underneath my grain mill then took a grain bag and tie wrapped it to the bottom of the vent assembly. This works very well and keeps the dust down in my brewery. The milled grain falls down into the bucket with the bag keeping the dust inside.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 06:52:36 am by goose »
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 06:50:46 am »
+1

I do something similar to what Goose has. The bag on mine is cut so that it just touches the bottom of the bucket. Also the bucket is enclosed in an old cabinet, with the cabinet door closed during milling. This is inside the house, and creates practically zero dust, with no water conditioning.

Sadly, I am not as tech-savvy as Goose, so can't post my picture.  :-[
Roger