Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Too long in the fermenter to bottle?  (Read 1322 times)

Offline librarianbrews

• 1st Kit
Too long in the fermenter to bottle?
« on: April 10, 2021, 01:46:47 pm »
I'm making an bourbon oaked oatmeal stout. I'm adding some coconut and cherry (Montmorency concentrate) today. I did a taste today and it seems really good. Rich flavor and the bourbon is there with just a hint of the oak.

I read a lot of articles about adding the oak and bourbon and many that I liked said to add it to the secondary and then let it age for a couple of months. It didn't occur to me until today that I might not want to bottle after that long of a secondary fermentation. I'm having trouble finding the answer to that on the internet or in my books.

I do usually keg, but was hoping to bottle at least a few of these for gifts and to see how a longer conditioning in a bottle would turn out. Is it too late? Are my yeasts gonners?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Too long in the fermenter to bottle?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 01:54:46 pm »
I'm making an bourbon oaked oatmeal stout. I'm adding some coconut and cherry (Montmorency concentrate) today. I did a taste today and it seems really good. Rich flavor and the bourbon is there with just a hint of the oak.

I read a lot of articles about adding the oak and bourbon and many that I liked said to add it to the secondary and then let it age for a couple of months. It didn't occur to me until today that I might not want to bottle after that long of a secondary fermentation. I'm having trouble finding the answer to that on the internet or in my books.

I do usually keg, but was hoping to bottle at least a few of these for gifts and to see how a longer conditioning in a bottle would turn out. Is it too late? Are my yeasts gonners?

There's likely plenty of yeast left.  What was the OG of the beer?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline librarianbrews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 02:08:35 pm »
 What was the OG of the beer?

It's a little high. 1.023

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 03:45:51 pm »
I personally like to add a little dry yeast when a beer is sitting around long in the secondary or if it is high gravity. I have had problems with it carbbing consistently -- and consistency is the key here. Just rehydrate a quarter packet of dry yeast and mix it in.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 04:18:03 pm »

No, the original gravity, not current gravity.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline librarianbrews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 06:19:35 pm »

Oh heh. I should have looked it up to make sure I was answering the question. My OG was 1.07.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 10:10:38 pm »
You'll be fine; it takes a really long time for so much of the yeast to drop out that you'd have carbonation issues.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 08:06:20 am »

Oh heh. I should have looked it up to make sure I was answering the question. My OG was 1.07.

No need for more yeast, then, IMO.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline librarianbrews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 06:44:36 pm »
Thanks all. I appreciate the answers so I can feel confident in my bottling.