Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cider Carbonation  (Read 919 times)

Offline LaVida

• 1st Kit
Cider Carbonation
« on: April 09, 2021, 11:48:08 am »
I have made my first batch of hard cider and for bottling and carbonation I have used corn sugar (36 g/Gal)
The carbonation was great after a few weeks but the cider lost almost all it carbonation after 5 month.
Is there a shelf life or am I doing something wrong?
Any tips for cider carbonation?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Cider Carbonation
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 11:52:13 am »
Welcome to forum.

It seems like your bottle caps must have been leaking.  This is not normal.  You might need to try different caps or a different capper to ensure a good seal.  My ciders remain carbonated for several years with no change or loss of carbonation.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Cider Carbonation
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 12:05:18 pm »
Welcome to forum.

It seems like your bottle caps must have been leaking.  This is not normal.  You might need to try different caps or a different capper to ensure a good seal.  My ciders remain carbonated for several years with no change or loss of carbonation.
Agreed. I had a crappy wing capper once that wouldn't make a good seal. If you looked carefully at the caps you could see that it wasn't crimped all the way around. A good crown cap will hold carbonation for years, possibly decades.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer