Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Strange Brew Idea?  (Read 1298 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Strange Brew Idea?
« on: April 12, 2021, 05:08:37 pm »
I don't know where this idea is headed but it might be the delete button.

35% Red X
35% 2 Row
30% Flaked Rice
Magnum @ 75 & 60
Celeia @ 15/10/5/0
Denny's 1450 fermented wherever it plateaus
OG 1.051
IBU's 34
SRM 8.5
60 min @ 148
75 min boil

Water: 53 Ca
           32 Sodium
           47 CaSo4
           75 Cl
           0 Alk

Thoughts/Criticisms welcome!

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: Strange Brew Idea?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 07:19:54 pm »
I have the ingredients for a 100 percent red x and cascade cryohop SMASH using Denny's favorite.

Taking a break from my brewing classic styles project

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 07:22:09 pm »
I think it will work, although I have a hard time picturing a rice-heavy brew as an ale instead of a lager. I think I'd want a crisp lager finish in a beer like this. That said, I don't have much experience with 1450 so I can't really picture how that would work here.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 07:33:28 pm »
I think it will work, although I have a hard time picturing a rice-heavy brew as an ale instead of a lager. I think I'd want a crisp lager finish in a beer like this. That said, I don't have much experience with 1450 so I can't really picture how that would work here.

I was thinking that also when putting this idea to paper. If I use a lager yeast I have OYL106 fermenting now and I should probably just cone to cone the yeast.

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 05:30:09 am »

Rice works really well in ales, but I think it's a little dependent on the yeast. I make a summer beer using a grain bill from my American lager. I add enough Citra, Mosaic or Idaho 7 in the whirlpool to get to 12-15 IBU and ferment with Voss yeast at 95F. No hops in the boil. The Voss yeast adds a crispness to the beer which works really well with the fruity hops. The rice keeps it light and crushable. Rice can be a really nice addition as longs as it fits the beer.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 08:53:29 am »
Do you have a goal in mind?  I start with that and work backwards.  Also, when you say "wherever it plateaus" I hope you aren't referring to temp.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 10:48:10 am »
Do you have a goal in mind?  I start with that and work backwards.  Also, when you say "wherever it plateaus" I hope you aren't referring to temp.

Yes I am. My basement is 53* so my thought is it will not go higher than the mid 70’s. If it does I will have my glycol attached and set to kick on. What are your experiences with higher temps on 1450?

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 11:12:40 am »

Yes I am. My basement is 53* so my thought is it will not go higher than the mid 70’s. If it does I will have my glycol attached and set to kick on. What are your experiences with higher temps on 1450?

I didn't care for the ester profile the few times it went higher, so I don't have a lot of experience with it.  After that, I just kept it cool.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 11:26:02 am »

I didn't care for the ester profile the few times it went higher, so I don't have a lot of experience with it.  After that, I just kept it cool.

Thanks for the feedback Denny.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 02:01:24 pm »

Bayou Teche Brewing does a "Kölsch-Style Ale" with Pilsner and Rice.  It's pretty good, to my palate anyway.  AFIAK, I've never met Red-X in person; so I don't know how it'd interact with rice.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 02:32:42 pm »

Rice works really well in ales, but I think it's a little dependent on the yeast. I make a summer beer using a grain bill from my American lager. I add enough Citra, Mosaic or Idaho 7 in the whirlpool to get to 12-15 IBU and ferment with Voss yeast at 95F. No hops in the boil. The Voss yeast adds a crispness to the beer which works really well with the fruity hops. The rice keeps it light and crushable. Rice can be a really nice addition as longs as it fits the beer.
A few years ago in the course of writing an article about using forms of rice that don't need a cereal mash I brewed a Muntons nut brown ale kit that I substituted brown rice syrup in place of the sugar called for. It turned out pretty good.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women