Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentis Dry Yeast Study  (Read 8157 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Fermentis Dry Yeast Study
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2021, 10:41:47 am »
I have a pack of Verdant as well (thanks Mark). It’s from the Verdant brewery in the UK. I am going to use it in one of my small test batches sometime soon.

https://youtu.be/fv5Mw7tOHig

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 10:46:26 am by BrewBama »

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Fermentis Dry Yeast Study
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2021, 10:59:36 am »
I plan to brew the fifth batch from a single sachet of Verdant tomorrow. Probably the last, only because I am anxious to get going with a few lagers.

If you like 1318 you will like Verdant. It does come across as slightly fruity to me, but not overly so. Predictable attenuation, and easy to top crop. I am quickly becoming a fan of this one.
Roger

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2021, 03:00:13 pm »
Verdant IPA is English and fruitier than Windsor. It is not much different from 1318 and started life as 1318. I'm English and drink cask regularly in England.

I purchased four packages of Verdant IPA in the fall.  I gave two packages to BrewBama when I mailed my remaining packages of W-34/70 to him.

By way, I now agree with you that 1318 is not Boddington's.  It is probably not Youngs or Fullers.  What about the Anchor brewery?  Is that a possibility?

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2021, 03:20:27 pm »
Verdant is the best dry yeast I’ve used. I only use it for British ales, because I like them. I don’t like Nottingham or s04 and though I used to use s05, im not a fan of it these days. Very glad I tried verdant. If I don’t use 1469 I use verdant.

I’ve never been as happy with dry lager yeast compared to liquid. Not sure why, I just end up going back to liquids after trying dry lager yeast.
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2021, 04:20:31 pm »
Verdant IPA is English and fruitier than Windsor. It is not much different from 1318 and started life as 1318. I'm English and drink cask regularly in England.

I purchased four packages of Verdant IPA in the fall.  I gave two packages to BrewBama when I mailed my remaining packages of W-34/70 to him.

By way, I now agree with you that 1318 is not Boddington's.  It is probably not Youngs or Fullers.  What about the Anchor brewery?  Is that a possibility?

Wyeast calls it London III so if it's Anchor maybe they got it from a British brewery.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2021, 05:18:17 pm »
Just picked up some Verdant for an IPA, but wondering if it'd work in something like an 80/- or a mild?
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2021, 06:10:37 pm »
Just picked up some Verdant for an IPA, but wondering if it'd work in something like an 80/- or a mild?
IMHO. Yes. I have used it in a Sweet Stout, Irish Ale, NEIPA, and a Pale Ale and have happy with all. Might be a bit fruity for a 80/- but that would be good for my taste. YMMV.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

Roger

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2021, 07:42:39 pm »
Ok, 2 packs of Verdant on order from Label Peelers. Ron Pattinson is on an AK kick right now, and he's put that idea in my head. Looks like I'll be having a nice light bitter on tap soon.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2021, 07:46:09 pm »
Bitter is one of those styles that's pretty much impossible to get in the states. I used to live by a brewery that had mild and bitter in cask but now I gotta make my own if I want some. . .

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2021, 07:58:44 pm »
Well, you can get it but it isn't fresh. I saw some Fuller's ESB in the store today but it was unrefrigerated on a shelf, and who knows how long it had been there. I really wanted to buy some but I decided it wasn't worth it.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2021, 08:01:16 pm »
Yeah you can get Fullers, which is good, but I've never seen a commercial regular bitter at a liquor store.

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2021, 11:33:14 pm »
I have my stuff shipped to me from northern brewer so I also go on the safe side and get dry yeast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2021, 11:35:58 pm »
edit: this is INCREDIBLE information on testing. this is great so far. wow. temp barely matters, time of rehydration barely matters, without agitation produced better results than mixing or agitation.

ok, and well it looks like there is basically no difference in results in almost any way between direct pitch and rehydration. also very little loss of vitality between fresh yeast and "artifically aged for 3 years" yeast in their study.

dry yeast, at least produced by fermentis, is really hardy stuff.

Thanks for the quick summary.  I am not at all surprised.  In my own homebrewery, experience has demonstrated many dozens of times all of these truths.  Which are part of the reasons why I tend to use dried yeasts almost all the time now and have for several years.  If we could eventually obtain great dried yeasts for every style... well I believe I would!  Things are getting better every year, closer and closer, that's for sure.
We need a dry yeast for WY1084!!!
And 1469, 1762, 2278, if we're starting a wish list  ;D

Think about how far US05 is from 1056.  Then ask yourself what dry versions of those would be like.
Do you think US-05 has slowly drifted from the liquid versions or was always peachy? I used to use it a lot the 2010-2015 time frame. I don’t remember the peach but I was new to brewing so I might not have noticed.
05 is still my go to yeast I keep it in the 59 to 65 temp range I haven’t noticed any flavors from it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2021, 12:22:37 am »
I have a pack of the Verdant yeast as well, waiting to use that in a Hazy IPA sometime, maybe over the summer. I'm gonna throw out another Fermentis yeast that doesn't get too much attention. S-33, to me it's ballpark flavor profile and mouthfeel of Wyeast 1969. It gets to work fast, goes hard and leaves a bit of sugars behind, doesn't drop clear like 1969 but for a few beers I really like it. English Porter, Stouts, Amber Ales, Browns...middle of the road ales where you can go either American or English yeast.

hey man, i appreciate your posts and read them through. i've never tried s-33, slightly before my time tbh, but i always hear such crazy stuff about it.

any other descriptors? it's probably the most contentious yeast i can think of.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2021, 06:02:22 am »
Wyeast calls it London III so if it's Anchor maybe they got it from a British brewery.

I should have been more specific.  I was not referring to the Anchor brewery in San Francisco.  I was referring to the Anchor brewery in London, which was originally owned by Barclay Perkins & Co and later Courage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_Brewery