Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentis Dry Yeast Study  (Read 8023 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Fermentis Dry Yeast Study
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2021, 10:02:42 am »

Notty and Belle Saison produced a fruity dry session pale, slightly tart, that's going down very nicely. Tastes more APA than EPA, I used Crystal hops for the first time.

Interesting. How did the combo perform compared to Belle on its own? Notty is cleaner and less attenuative than Belle, so I have a hard time picturing what it would add.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 10:04:19 am by erockrph »
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline clibit

• Cellarman
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2021, 12:33:02 pm »

Notty and Belle Saison produced a fruity dry session pale, slightly tart, that's going down very nicely. Tastes more APA than EPA, I used Crystal hops for the first time.

Interesting. How did the combo perform compared to Belle on its own? Notty is cleaner and less attenuative than Belle, so I have a hard time picturing what it would add.

I pitched 3g Belle 18 hours after 4g Notty in an 8 litre batch (I split 40 litres 5 ways). There was a krausen already formed. It only got down to about 1008. Surprisingly. I think the Notty head start allowed it to have a sizeable influence. There's a distinct tart citrus to the beer, which the hops must have contributed towards, but it's not super dry, the mouthfeel is not so Belle like. Lallemand has done some stuff recommending dual yeast pitches, and this is one of them. I intend to try different timings and proportions, cos I like the combination and am interested in how it can be varied. I'm going to try Belle with T-58 too. And Verdant.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2021, 02:09:30 pm »
I am interested in the Lallemand recommendations regarding multiple yeast pitches but couldn't find it on their website. Is this information available?
Roger

Offline clibit

• Cellarman
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2021, 02:31:25 pm »
I am interested in the Lallemand recommendations regarding multiple yeast pitches but couldn't find it on their website. Is this information available?
Hi Roger. I emailed Lallemand and I was sent a set of presentation slides about co-fermentation. That presentation is covered in this video...

https://youtu.be/nmA4xraEScU

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2021, 05:58:26 am »
Thanks clibit. Very interesting. Its funny that I subscribe to his channel but missed those two.

After thinking more about this, the downside is harvesting yeast for subsequent batches seems problematic for the average homebrewer. Any harvested slurry will be a mix with no chance of pitching separately. Thinking on my keyboard, one would have to maintain a slurry of each separately, or use new yeast each batch. If this is true, the results will have to be impressive for me to use this technique routinely. YMMV.

I'll be interested in reading anyone's experiences with this method.
Roger

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2021, 07:01:51 am »
Thanks clibit. Very interesting. Its funny that I subscribe to his channel but missed those two.

After thinking more about this, the downside is harvesting yeast for subsequent batches seems problematic for the average homebrewer. Any harvested slurry will be a mix with no chance of pitching separately. Thinking on my keyboard, one would have to maintain a slurry of each separately, or use new yeast each batch. If this is true, the results will have to be impressive for me to use this technique routinely. YMMV.

I'll be interested in reading anyone's experiences with this method.
Before you make that conclusion I'd suggest that you try it first. I use the Windsor + Notty combo all the time. I always see the recommendation to pitch the Windsor first to allow for more ester formation, but I just pitch them together from the start, and I get the character I'm looking for. I'm not convinced that the timing or exact ratio of cells from one strain vs the other is critically important in these copitches. That said, I don't do a lot of repitching, so I can't confirm that for subsequent batches.

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2021, 07:55:34 am »
Hi Roger. I emailed Lallemand and I was sent a set of presentation slides about co-fermentation. That presentation is covered in this video...

https://youtu.be/nmA4xraEScU
Interesting when if you could do that with dry yeast mix on together and see how they work together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2021, 09:00:55 am »
Before you make that conclusion I'd suggest that you try it first. I use the Windsor + Notty combo all the time. I always see the recommendation to pitch the Windsor first to allow for more ester formation, but I just pitch them together from the start, and I get the character I'm looking for. I'm not convinced that the timing or exact ratio of cells from one strain vs the other is critically important in these copitches. That said, I don't do a lot of repitching, so I can't confirm that for subsequent batches.

[/quote]

Eric, that's good advice. I need to do some tests before reaching conclusions.
Roger