Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First attempt at a Coffee Stout  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: First attempt at a Coffee Stout
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2021, 04:10:29 pm »
For what it’s worth, I ended up “dry beaning” with 2oz of locally sourced, medium roast, whole beans.  The beans went into 3 gallons of beer in the fermenter for one week.  When I first tapped the keg, I thought I overdid it, the coffee was a touch too strong in aroma for sure, and the taste was too much coffee and roast, what with the roasted barley and all.  It came across as a bit harsh.  But after 3 weeks in the keg, the coffee has mellowed considerably to the point that it’s more of a supporting actor.  The beer is now a Stout first, with a nice coffee aroma.  The taste could still use something to balance the added coffee however.

I think if I were to make this again, I would back off on the % of roasted barley and maybe sub in a touch of crystal...maybe even C120...as a way to tone down the roast and bitterness and give it another dimension. (Idea stolen from Schalfly’s Coffee Stout).

Still, a pretty good first try.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: First attempt at a Coffee Stout
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2021, 04:20:05 pm »
For what it’s worth, I ended up “dry beaning” with 2oz of locally sourced, medium roast, whole beans.  The beans went into 3 gallons of beer in the fermenter for one week.  When I first tapped the keg, I thought I overdid it, the coffee was a touch too strong in aroma for sure, and the taste was too much coffee and roast, what with the roasted barley and all.  It came across as a bit harsh.  But after 3 weeks in the keg, the coffee has mellowed considerably to the point that it’s more of a supporting actor.  The beer is now a Stout first, with a nice coffee aroma.  The taste could still use something to balance the added coffee however.

I think if I were to make this again, I would back off on the % of roasted barley and maybe sub in a touch of crystal...maybe even C120...as a way to tone down the roast and bitterness and give it another dimension. (Idea stolen from Schalfly’s Coffee Stout).

Still, a pretty good first try.

The other thing I discovered about coffee beers is that I wanted to cut the hops back a bit to account for the bitterness in the coffee.  I dry bean for  aroma, but add brewed coffee to taste for flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell