Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cinnamon-Maple Stout  (Read 1466 times)

Offline krclower

• 1st Kit
Cinnamon-Maple Stout
« on: April 15, 2021, 10:01:49 am »
A number of years ago, before we began our journey into home-brewing, my wife and I had the pleasure of dining at Small Batch Whiskey something-or-other restaurant in St. Louis.  In addition to some fine bourbons, they also sourced some craft beer, one in specific, a Cinnamon-Maple Stout.  It was indescribably delicious, suffice to say, it was incredible.

Now they don’t seem to have it on the menu, which is irrelevant anyway, as they seem to be closed due to the pandemic.  So I’d like to try to create this at home.

Has anyone run across a recipe for a Cinnamon-Maple Stout, or even anything remotely similar?  At this stage, I’d settle for EITHER an all-grain or an extract in a 5-gallon configuration.  Anyone????

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Cinnamon-Maple Stout
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 10:15:58 am »
I can't give you much help with a recipe, but have you tried reaching out to them? I'd try shooting them a facebook message or email to see if they're willing to share the recipe (or at least some pointers).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 10:21:25 am »
I can tell you that the best way to get maple flavor is to use fenugreek.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 05:34:14 pm »
Be really careful, a little fenugreek goes a long way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 12:50:05 pm »
I've never been disappointed by the flavorings from this company.

https://www.apexflavors.com/Beverage-Industry/Craft-Brewing

I've tried about 15 and they've all been fantastic, robust, and high quality. I don't see myself going back to physical adjuncts when I need them in a recipe.
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
Bloatarian Brewing League
BJCP B1408

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 02:21:09 pm »

popular maple candies use that in addition to maple syrup, and when you have enough of them, you can taste the slight difference. its a good taste and definitely similar to maple syrup.

one might add some of these maple candies

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 09:27:47 pm »
Sounds a lot like Fugee from Fretboard Brewing in Cincinnati, had the pleasure of sampling that one at the GABF two years ago. always wanted to try and replicate that one, never got that far.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 06:44:36 pm »

I've tried multiple times to use maple syrup in beer and every time I've concluded that it was a terrific waste of good syrup!  I think if I ever go for maple flavor again, it will be with a fenugreeek tincture- not maple.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 07:53:31 pm »

I've tried multiple times to use maple syrup in beer and every time I've concluded that it was a terrific waste of good syrup!  I think if I ever go for maple flavor again, it will be with a fenugreeek tincture- not maple.

this sounds crazy, but going even further, and mentioned in my maple syrup making thread - maple wood. taking sugar, cooking it in maple wood. soaking maple wood in cask strength alcohol?

anyone?

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 05:06:08 pm »

this sounds crazy, but going even further, and mentioned in my maple syrup making thread - maple wood. taking sugar, cooking it in maple wood. soaking maple wood in cask strength alcohol?

anyone?
Go for it- I doubt that it will give you the impression of maple syrup, but it just might give you something good!