Author Topic: Tobacco Infused?  (Read 299 times)

Offline vellawitting

• 1st Kit
Tobacco Infused?
« on: May 07, 2021, 06:22:07 AM »
A fellow cigar smoked asked if I could give a beer strong tobacco notes. He wondered whether leaving hops sit among cigars would work, which I doubted.

But then I wondered if either making an extract with 50/50 Everclear as I do with various peppers, cocao nibs, and vanilla bean, or maybe mashing with whole tobacco leaves.

Any thoughts or recommendation? Has anyone done such a thing?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life.
Re: Tobacco Infused?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 09:51:26 AM »
It would seem more in line with whiskeys, but give it a try with your extract idea - I suggest dosing in the glass first, rather than attempting to dose an entire batch.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.  Something like adding to a wee heavy, perhaps?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 11:27:57 AM »
Another idea would be to use the wood from cigar storage.  Cigar City had a whole "Humidor Series" of beers aged with "Spanish Cedar."  I put that is parentheses because the wood is really some other sort, but they call it that in the cigar box industry.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 11:52:56 AM »
Reminds me of the time when I was a kid and the guy next to me was spitting his tobacco dip into his Mickey's big mouth bottle and set his spit bottle down next to my Mickey's big mouth cold beer bottle and I grabbed his by mistake and took a big swig....

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 01:41:50 PM »
Not a good idea to ingest tobacco. Nicotine is toxic.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 02:29:43 PM »

THIS
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 04:07:03 PM »

THIS
Yeah, nicotine is bad news. Even the amount of nicotine contained in one cigarette could be potentially fatal if ingested orally. (You only inhale a small fraction of the nicotine contained n the tobacco when you smoke a cigarette)

Better to go with other flavors that are reminiscent of cigars to flavor your brew. Cedar, earthy hops, spicy yeast, black pepper, etc.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline RC

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 04:11:28 PM »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 04:30:35 PM »
For cigars I have found smoky, oaked and herbal hopped beers go well and a little extra crystal malt to add some sweetness. Cigars destroy the nuances of most beers. They go really well with whiskey though which cuts through the intense smoke flavor.

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 11:37:37 PM »
For cigars I have found smoky, oaked and herbal hopped beers go well and a little extra crystal malt to add some sweetness. Cigars destroy the nuances of most beers. They go really well with whiskey though which cuts through the intense smoke flavor.
That's interesting that you mention Crystal malt. I recently started getting back into cigars a bit more often. The only beer of mine they haven't completely overpowered is a crystal-heavy amber that I have on tap right now. Everything else is just too nuanced and gets blown out of the water. Rum and whiskey do work significantly better, and I'd bet that a nice aƱejo or reposado tequila would be phenomenal as well.

Eric B.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 06:36:04 AM »
Reminds me of the time when I was a kid and the guy next to me was spitting his tobacco dip into his Mickey's big mouth bottle and set his spit bottle down next to my Mickey's big mouth cold beer bottle and I grabbed his by mistake and took a big swig....

awesome. story?

or more explanation?

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 01:45:44 PM »

THIS
Yeah, nicotine is bad news. Even the amount of nicotine contained in one cigarette could be potentially fatal if ingested orally. (You only inhale a small fraction of the nicotine contained n the tobacco when you smoke a cigarette)

Better to go with other flavors that are reminiscent of cigars to flavor your brew. Cedar, earthy hops, spicy yeast, black pepper, etc.

When I was young we raised tobacco on a rental farm without any running water available to us.  We would pull the suckers from the plants by hand (to improve the productivity and increase the quality of the leaves) and in the process get tobacco sap all over our hands.  When lunchtime came around, the best we could do was wipe our hands on a rag.  I've eaten many a sandwich with tobacco sap and accumulated dirt on my hands and not felt any bad effects.  Maybe the dirt neutralized the nicotine.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 01:55:40 PM »

THIS

When I was young we raised tobacco on a rental farm without any running water available to us.  We would pull the suckers from the plants by hand (to improve the productivity and increase the quality of the leaves) and in the process get tobacco sap all over our hands.  When lunchtime came around, the best we could do was wipe our hands on a rag.  I've eaten many a sandwich with tobacco sap and accumulated dirt on my hands and not felt any bad effects.  Maybe the dirt neutralized the nicotine.

The dose makes the poison.

If you find Tobacco on the TTB approved list I will admit I am wrong. Prove me wrong.

https://www.acmt.net/Nicotine.html

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 03:35:41 PM »

THIS

I'm glad you're here to tell the tale. Nicotine can be fatal at doses as low as 0.5mg/kg. A typical cigarette contains about 10-15mg of nicotine (You only inhale about a tenth of that when you smoke it). Being an alkaloid, nicotine is going to dissolve fairly well in an acidic solution like beer. It is certainly not something anyone should roll the dice on.

Eric B.