Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: GFCI use with electric breweries  (Read 801 times)

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
GFCI use with electric breweries
« on: May 11, 2021, 05:15:44 pm »
I brew with a 240V electric induction cooker and have been "getting by" without using a GFCI.  Another thread reminded me that safety is important so I bought and put together a stand-alone GFCI unit to put in-line with the power to the cooker.  When testing it- the GFCI tripped at low power as the cooker power cycled on and off, but it didn't trip at full power.  Not exactly what I want as I boil at low power once up to temp.

I assume the large current draw when the induction cooker cycles on is the culprit.  I have no way of knowing if I'm right or if there is a larger problem with my cooker.  Anyone have an knowledge on this?

Thanks!
Chinaski

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: GFCI use with electric breweries
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 07:26:44 pm »
My advice is to get a licensed electrician. Better to error on the side of caution. You may need to have him change the circuit breaker with a built in GFCI.
Also, I assume the outlet is a dedicated circuit only for your device. If not, you might want to do so.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 07:28:39 pm by HopDen »

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: GFCI use with electric breweries
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 05:55:03 am »
I can tell you that a GFCI in a 120v application measures the difference in amperage between the Hot and Neutral wires.  If the two leads are not perfectly identical, it indicates a “leak”.  A “leak” indicates amperage is going elsewhere and the result is a Trip.  I’m not sure how a 220v GFCI measures these values.  Perhaps you can post a wiring diagram or model number?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 05:57:34 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉