Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Austin  (Read 1485 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Austin
« on: April 18, 2021, 11:54:08 am »
We’ve had our COVID vaccines and have decided to get out of town for a weekend for the first time in a long time.  Which breweries or restaurants should we look for?  We’ll be staying near South Congress and will not have a car.  I don’t think we have the time or patience to wait in line for Franklins, but heard that Terry Blacks is good for BBQ.  Not sure whose opinion to trust for TexMex....
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
Re: Austin
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 05:05:19 pm »
The ABGB and Live Oak are musts. Pinthouse just opened a flagship brewery and restaurant south as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 07:07:02 am »
We haven't been there in forever, but really enjoyed Black Star when we were there.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 12:05:29 pm »
We enjoyed our weekend in Austin, a lot because of the gorgeous weather.  We stayed just south of the river near the Congress Ave. bridge and walked everywhere.  We found good brisket at Terry Black's and really good beef tacos at Taco Flats, a tiny food truck behind Craft Pride on Rainey St.  Interesting local beer scene there, something we were discussing on another thread about regional differences: The "hoppy" section of the menu was 5 Hazy, N.E. IPA's and the "sour" section was four or five goses, some with fruit.  I gravitated toward a nice Kolsch and a pleasantly hoppy Amber Ale.  A six pack of Pearl Snap Pils for the hotel was good as well.
And even in the not-yet-summer weather, the bats taking flight at dusk from under the bridge is still impressive.
COVID restrictions were in force, with almost all venues mandating masks and most having long wait times for entry. 
Both air flights were full.
Next time we'll rent a car and visit some breweries.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Online reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 01:14:11 pm »
South Congress is a great place for restaurants and Rainey Street is a good option for craft beer. There is Craft Pride and Bangers at the south end and a ton of fun bars around if you get out of the mood for craft beer. Outside of those two Austin seems to have moved away from craft beer heavy bars into most places having a decent number of craft beer options in a standard bar.

It's been a few years but the east side of town seems to be the new brewery/restaurant/bar destination now that the near south has become so expensive. The northwest part of town is brewery heavy and Austin Draft House is the heavyweight bar for craft beer in that area.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 10:24:25 am »
Next time get the car at the Airport. Stop at Live Oak for one leaving the Airport,  it is close. ABGB is a must. We get a place that is walking distance.

For BBQ almost as good as Franklin without the wait try La BBQ. Mickelthwaites (sp) is also good. If you go south of town look up Valentina's.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 12:07:06 pm »
If you want BBQ I recommend Black’s. It’s cooked fresh on the old Lockhart pits (~30 min away) and hand delivered to the Austin location hot and fresh every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 01:11:40 pm »
Next time get the car at the Airport. Stop at Live Oak for one leaving the Airport,  it is close. ABGB is a must. We get a place that is walking distance.

For BBQ almost as good as Franklin without the wait try La BBQ. Mickelthwaites (sp) is also good. If you go south of town look up Valentina's.
A little late now, but next time...

"If you want BBQ I recommend Black’s. It’s cooked fresh on the old Lockhart pits (~30 min away) and hand delivered to the Austin location hot and fresh every day."
We had brisket and sausage at Terry Black's on Barton Springs Rd.  They had an active smoke house next to the restaurant.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 09:24:33 pm »
But I knew there would be a next time!

There is a heated debate in TX BBQ circles on how the upstarts in Austin are doing it vs. the old school places in Lockhart. Low and slow at 230F in Austin vs less time at 300F in Lockhart. You need to explore all of them and see for yourself. Terry Black's is good. I will just say the first time at Franklin BBQ I said why did I just spend 3 hours in line,? The first bite said that is why you chump. I've been back to assure myself. That said La BBQ is almost as good, much shorter wait.

The Holy Grail of brisket for me is Snow's in Lexington TX. Only open Saturday mornings. It is number one in the TX Monthly top 50. Franklin is number 2. I must go!

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the-list-the-top-50-barbecue-joints-in-texas/

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Online BrewBama

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 07:09:32 am »
The Holy Grail of brisket for me is Snow's in Lexington TX. Only open Saturday mornings. It is number one in the TX Monthly top 50. ...

It’s the pitmaster. She’s awesome.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 01:18:36 pm »
The Holy Grail of brisket for me is Snow's in Lexington TX. Only open Saturday mornings. It is number one in the TX Monthly top 50. ...

It’s the pitmaster. She’s awesome.

I have to go soon, she's in her 80s.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild