Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for an explanation of the modded score sheet  (Read 876 times)

Offline Gary Zath

• 1st Kit
Looking for an explanation of the modded score sheet
« on: June 23, 2021, 11:07:40 am »
Specifically, the stars. My two score sheets had my beer at 1 star, yet the comments were positive saying it was a great example of the style.
Also, noted in the email was Round Advance 2 of 3.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: Looking for an explanation of the modded score sheet
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 11:10:48 am »
It might be helpful to see the sheet. I can't think of one that uses stars.. another option, email the judges. I feel that isn't used enough. I even write on my scoresheets to email me if you'd like to chat. Seldom is it used but I'm all about explaining stuff for the better.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline rdruckenmiller

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 06:28:36 am »
It might be helpful to see the sheet. I can't think of one that uses stars.. another option, email the judges. I feel that isn't used enough. I even write on my scoresheets to email me if you'd like to chat. Seldom is it used but I'm all about explaining stuff for the better.

AHA used a modified comment sheet - no scores. Inconsistent/incorrect population of stars and reasons for not advancing. Judges are shown as a number and are essentially anonymous- no name, rank, or email. Multiple examples indicate qualification of judges was questionable (e.g. large head was marked as inappropriate for weissbier). What's worse is the AHA changed the NHC rules/guidelines AFTER taking everyone's money to change the scoresheet to a comment sheet - check reddit for the thread on that.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 06:41:39 am »
Well, you just gave more information than he did. He really said nothing just confused what it means. That gave me no way to know it was from the grand competition. Hard to help when I'm not sure what one is talking about. Also, judges are always inconsistent. Not sure what they were told to do with the sheet and stars as I didn't judge but maybe he'll follow along to Reddit for his answers because I'm not.

Offline Ron

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 06:45:16 pm »
I’m not really sure. I had one entry go 3 of 3, one 2 of 3 and one 2 of 4. They didn’t have any flaws check on the flaws box and had positive responses. So… I’m not really sure what if anything I need need to change.. 🤷‍♂️

I know scores could be all over the place in the past but it was kinda nice when they had the certificates that you could earn if your beer scored high enough.