Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need some help with beer kit ABV  (Read 846 times)

Offline adz166

• 1st Kit
Need some help with beer kit ABV
« on: April 20, 2021, 05:02:18 am »
Hi guys I put on a brew of Coopers Australian Lager, i added Coopers 1.5kg Amber Liquid Malt Extract and also about 500g of SprayMalt just to top it up.

I have somehow written down a hydrometer reading of 1.018, i must have written this wrong right?? surely thats not possible?

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
Re: Need some help with beer kit ABV
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 06:45:47 am »
It all depends on how much water you used.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Need some help with beer kit ABV
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 06:48:10 am »
Hi guys I put on a brew of Coopers Australian Lager, i added Coopers 1.5kg Amber Liquid Malt Extract and also about 500g of SprayMalt just to top it up.

I have somehow written down a hydrometer reading of 1.018, i must have written this wrong right?? surely thats not possible?
What was the liquid volume immediately before fermentation? SG is a measurement of sugar density in liquid. So, it depends not how much liquid you have.

But, it definitely seems low for starting gravity. It could be a finish gravity.

Offline adz166

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 08:06:00 am »
i used all the standard measurements that it asked for. brewed short to 20L infact, i think maybe i didnt mix it enough... would this then affect the outcome?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 08:37:41 am »
i used all the standard measurements that it asked for. brewed short to 20L infact, i think maybe i didnt mix it enough... would this then affect the outcome?

Absolutely. Water needs a little help to thoroughly mix with extract (both dry and liquid) so if you just poured in water on top it's not going to mix evenly. Even taking a gravity reading preboil from an all grain batch can be off if the higher gravity first runnings are not well mixed with the later lower gravity runnings before taking a reading.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline adz166

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 09:11:38 am »

Absolutely. Water needs a little help to thoroughly mix with extract (both dry and liquid) so if you just poured in water on top it's not going to mix evenly. Even taking a gravity reading preboil from an all grain batch can be off if the higher gravity first runnings are not well mixed with the later lower gravity runnings before taking a reading.

thanks, is my brew going to be no good then?

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 09:29:39 am »

The brew will be fine. Fermentation will mix everything together.

Offline adz166

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 04:03:20 pm »

The brew will be fine. Fermentation will mix everything together.

phew! cheers!