Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stuck Fermentation?  (Read 5438 times)

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
Stuck Fermentation?
« on: April 19, 2021, 04:30:41 pm »
It looks like I may have a stuck fermentation. Using Verdant IPA yeast for the first time in a simple IPA. My SG has been holding at 1.020 for over 4 days.
OG 1.066, recipe shows a FG at 1.012. Normally after 3 days at the same gravity I would disregard the difference as a calculation error, but this seems to still be at high krausen, nothing has settled out. I roused the yeast yesterday to see if that would get it going again and it is still at 1.020 (using a tilt hydrometer).
What would be the best thing to do next? I have read that adding yeast may start a stuck fermentation. Any advice?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 04:32:28 pm by David »
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Stuck Fermentation?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 04:52:30 pm »
The first thing I would do is take a hydrometer sample to verify the Tilt is accurate.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Stuck Fermentation?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 06:56:33 pm »
It could be finished.  The Tilt is pretty good about reporting when fermentation is complete.  It’s not so good at reporting the exact FG. More often than not I get a huge clump of yeast on the Tilt throwing off the FG reading.

I keg the beer, pull a pint from the keg, and take a FG hydrometer reading off that pint. It’s normally different than the Tilt FG reading (and within range of the attenuation % for the yeast strain).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 06:59:33 pm by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 07:25:56 pm »
It could be finished.  The Tilt is pretty good about reporting when fermentation is complete.  It’s not so good at reporting the exact FG. More often than not I get a huge clump of yeast on the Tilt throwing off the FG reading.

I keg the beer, pull a pint from the keg, and take a FG hydrometer reading off that pint. It’s normally different than the Tilt FG reading (and within range of the attenuation % for the yeast strain).

I have had the tilt SG stop moving for several days multiple times before. When that happens I try to swirl the brew in case it is stuck to the side of the fermenter. That has gotten the needle moving again for me multiple times.

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 09:05:30 pm »

I have had the tilt SG stop moving for several days multiple times before. When that happens I try to swirl the brew in case it is stuck to the side of the fermenter. That has gotten the needle moving again for me multiple times.

When I roused the yeast yesterday, I also fished out the Tilt and cleaned it off (with sanitizer) - was thinking that very problem as I have also seen it before. Unfortunately that did not help.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 04:47:12 am »
You could work up a liter of starter with fresh yeast and pitch it as a Krausening, especially if you keg the beer (it will then also carbonate the batch in the keg).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 09:02:20 am »
At the risk of stating the obvious, have you tasted it? 1.020 or not, it simply might be done fermenting. But if it's under-attenuated, you'll know by tasting it. As a side note, I recently used verdant for the first time and also noticed a krausen that refused to drop, even though the beer was done. Some strains do that.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 09:04:33 am »
What was the recipe and process?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 10:57:52 am »

5.5 gallons
OG 1.059
FG 1.012
IBU 45
SRM 8
ABV 6

6 lbs - Maris Otter
5.5 lbs - Pure Idaho pilsner
1 lb - flaked corn
.75 lbs - crystal 60
.5 oz. HBC 630 - 60 min
.5 oz. HBC 630 - 30 min
.5 oz. HBC 630 - 10. min (and whirlfloc)
.5 oz. HBC 630 at flameout
1 pkg. Verdant IPA yeast

Single infusion mash (1.5 water to grain ratio) at 154 for 60 minutes, 170 degree sparge. 60 minute boil.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 11:26:13 am »

5.5 gallons
OG 1.059
FG 1.012
IBU 45
SRM 8
ABV 6

6 lbs - Maris Otter
5.5 lbs - Pure Idaho pilsner
1 lb - flaked corn
.75 lbs - crystal 60
.5 oz. HBC 630 - 60 min
.5 oz. HBC 630 - 30 min
.5 oz. HBC 630 - 10. min (and whirlfloc)
.5 oz. HBC 630 at flameout
1 pkg. Verdant IPA yeast

Single infusion mash (1.5 water to grain ratio) at 154 for 60 minutes, 170 degree sparge. 60 minute boil.

Well, darn....no clues there

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 11:54:34 am »
Calibrated thermometer for the mash temp?  Just ruling out a higher mash temp than intended....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 11:57:21 am »
Calibrated thermometer for the mash temp?  Just ruling out a higher mash temp than intended....

Been a while since I checked the thermometer calibration....Have been questioning some readings recently. Will look at that tonight.

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 11:57:47 am »
The first thing I would do is take a hydrometer sample to verify the Tilt is accurate.

Will also look at this, thanks.

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 11:59:10 am »
At the risk of stating the obvious, have you tasted it? 1.020 or not, it simply might be done fermenting. But if it's under-attenuated, you'll know by tasting it. As a side note, I recently used verdant for the first time and also noticed a krausen that refused to drop, even though the beer was done. Some strains do that.

I have not, you are right that should have been obvious. Will taste the sample when I measure the gravity with a standard hydrometer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 12:04:52 pm »

It's certainly possible, but you'd have to be way off for it to have much effect

www.dennybrew.com