Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast nutrient  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Re: Yeast nutrient
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2021, 09:13:40 am »
I used yeast nutrient when I first started, but stopped using it for anything culturing media after moving to all-grain brewing. I stopped using it for culturing media (shortly thereafter). I have personally have never seen the need for yeast nutrient in a all-grain wort.  There is more than nitrogen available in an all malt wort, even in 20% adjunct worts.  The other major component of yeast nutrient blends is a yeast extract.  That is helpful if one is underpitching.

Nail polish is ethyl acetate.  It is almost always the result of fermentation temperate being too high during the exponential growth period in home brewing. If you want to understand what is going on better, you should read two of my blog entries.

Yeast Cultures are Like Nuclear Weapons (https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/saccharomyces/yeast-cultures-are-nuclear-weapons)

Have You Seen Ester (https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/saccharomyces/have-you-seen-ester)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2021, 02:28:50 pm »
The need for yeast nutrient is largely dependent upon your water source and its quality.  The main potential deficiency that yeast nutrient addresses is zinc deficiency.  Malt does not provide enough zinc to make up for water sources that are deficient.  Deficient water sources are RO water, distilled water, and potentially any source that hasn't had much ground contact such as collected rainwater or mountain runoff. 

There was a mention of zinc sulfate previously in this thread and it is almost a good alternative.  Its problem is that the dosage rate with that salt is exceedingly low.  You probably couldn't accurately measure and dose zinc sulfate in its dry form (for a typical homebrew batch), but you could probably mix up a calculated solution and figure out how much of that will be needed in your batch size. 

I use RO water for brewing and I feel that my use of Wyeast yeast nutrient does provide a small improvement to the beer fermentation performance, although I haven't conducted scientific trials to confirm.  I figure it's insurance.     
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2021, 05:30:28 am »
I treat my brewing water per Martin's spread sheet, use dry yeast exclusively without any yeast nutrient, and have never had a problem.  Beer is always good.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2021, 07:51:15 am »
I treat my brewing water per Martin's spread sheet, use dry yeast exclusively without any yeast nutrient, and have never had a problem.  Beer is always good.
I'm sorry, I had to

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2021, 08:58:59 am »
Still a pretty inexperienced home brewer and I've yet to see much of  a difference between adding a nutrient or not. I think I've got bigger problems to sort out first before I start pumping my wort full of performance enhancers  :)

You know, like proper pitching rate and temperature control. One day I hope have a beer that doesn't immediately smell like nail polish...

OTOH, nutrient is so inexpensive and easy I look at it as cheap insurance.

I agree with Denny on this.  It's cheap insurance.  I even add a pinch of yeast nutrient to my starter wort.  Whether it is necessary or not, IDK.  But it is cheap insurance and yeast nutrient is very inexpensive.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2021, 09:24:31 am »
Still a pretty inexperienced home brewer and I've yet to see much of  a difference between adding a nutrient or not. I think I've got bigger problems to sort out first before I start pumping my wort full of performance enhancers  :)

You know, like proper pitching rate and temperature control. One day I hope have a beer that doesn't immediately smell like nail polish...

OTOH, nutrient is so inexpensive and easy I look at it as cheap insurance.

I agree with Denny on this.  It's cheap insurance.  I even add a pinch of yeast nutrient to my starter wort.  Whether it is necessary or not, IDK.  But it is cheap insurance and yeast nutrient is very inexpensive.

IMO, it's even more important in starters than in the kettle.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell