Author Topic: Tilt hydrometer bias  (Read 1177 times)

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Tilt hydrometer bias
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2021, 04:51:15 pm »
I have a refractometer for brew day and I calibrate the Tilt against room temp water before adding it to the fermenter and, so, at that point I have - my recipe in a spreadsheet with predicted OG (based on my systems and fairly accurate volumes used), the refractometer reading (take 3 or so, if there is something seemingly off), a spare hydrometer which, if used, must be adjusted for temperature difference of wort as measured (or allowed to rise to room temp from chilled temp at racking).  At the back end, I have predicted FG from the recipe spreadsheet, a refractometer with the adjustment calculator, the same hydrometer as used on the front end, the Tilt to know it hasn't moved over 3-4 days, and a lab grade finished hydrometer that is highly accurate. 

But in reality, if I am pressure fermenting, I just use the Tilt to monitor stasis at the end (since the pressure throws off the Tilt reading accuracy - I think) and most recently, I usually don't even take a final gravity reading.

YMMV, of course, and some times it is great to know precisely where you are on a particular beer...for me, my beers are usually low ABV, so high accuracy isn't terribly necessary.  It is a rarity for me to make a beer above 1.050, FWIW.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 11:58:05 pm »
I used Tilts until I bought my EasyDens hydrometer. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2021, 03:06:19 am »
Seems like the tilt people could solve the problem of Schmutz by making the top part of the tilt that floats conical so nothing collects on top of it.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2021, 03:34:28 am »
I have been using the Tilt Pro in a S/S conical fermentor.
Never have thought of this as a precision gravity instrument.
Rather, I use it to follow the fermentation trend with the graphing chart.
Really find it useful for following the temp bump ups with Belgian yeast response.
Also useful for establishing end of active fermentation.
Good if you like beer gadgets and if you are 1/4 or more nerd.

---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2021, 11:32:48 am »
My tilt is pretty close to being accurate. Close enough that I use those numbers for my batches. Even if it is off by a point ... honestly, I don't really care that much about OG and FG specifics as long as the beer is close and as long as I know it is finished fermenting. I haven't had a beer stall on me in many years but if it did I'd still be able to notice it on the Tilt even if the FG was not 100% accurate.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2021, 05:59:15 am »
Seems like if they just made the tilt with the upper portion like a cone, it will not get hub and use debris on it and be much more accurate.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Tilt hydrometer bias
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2021, 12:34:32 pm »
Mine is pretty accurate as is. My OG and FG are usually spot on. I have done a 2 point calibration: one point in typical OG range and one point in the typical FG range. Mine doesn’t get a lot of schmutz on it and the amount is fairly consistent.  I think the common amount of schmutz is built into my calibration.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 12:36:58 pm by tommymorris »