Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Plaato Keg  (Read 1120 times)

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
Thoughts on the Plaato Keg
« on: April 20, 2021, 09:03:00 pm »
I recently purchased four Plaato keg monitors, three to monitor the level of the kegs in my kegerator, and one to monitor my Co2 tank. Has anyone used these? Any downfalls? My current setup has all four monitored by an old cellphone repurposed to run only the Plaato app, specifically to monitor the sensors.
I decided on these as they do not have any contact with the beer, weight based. Any thoughts?
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: Thoughts on the Plaato Keg
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 12:35:45 pm »
Personally, I don't see the point in parting with $120 for a device (let alone four of them) that tells me what I can instantly tell for myself, with a high amount of accuracy, by simply lifting the keg or CO2 tank. For me, giving these things a quick lift isn't enough of a PITA to warrant spending that kind of money. But to each their own. Spending money on toys is very much a personal preference.

Offline hmbrw4life

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 12:52:47 pm »
I recently purchased four Plaato keg monitors, three to monitor the level of the kegs in my kegerator, and one to monitor my Co2 tank. Has anyone used these? Any downfalls? My current setup has all four monitored by an old cellphone repurposed to run only the Plaato app, specifically to monitor the sensors.
I decided on these as they do not have any contact with the beer, weight based. Any thoughts?

As long as they can account for drift, I don't see a problem. Drift with load cells is something to consider.
Science functions when theory correctly predicts the results of experiments.
Six Sigma in a former life. Retired in the current life.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 03:11:03 pm »
I broke the power cord (probably slammed a keg a little hard)  They sent me a replacement.  Mines a little wonky due to the reception out in the garage, but when working I have no complaints.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 04:59:06 pm »
I broke the power cord (probably slammed a keg a little hard)  They sent me a replacement.  Mines a little wonky due to the reception out in the garage, but when working I have no complaints.
I had a similar problem (poor WiFi reception) fixed that with a $15 WiFi booster.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 09:40:31 am »
I wouldn't connect something like this to my home network without knowing a whole lot more about their security. I just read an article about an app-controlled air fryer that is a security risk.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's