Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: In Defense of Crystal (Caramel) Malt  (Read 5547 times)

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
Re: In Defense of Crystal (Caramel) Malt
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2021, 06:45:04 pm »
I am lucky enough to have a local maltser that has an amazing crystal 60. Breiss, for all the good they do, can not match Sugar Creeks c-60. The fresher the better.

I am never using Breiss Crystal 60 ever again.
I have plans to try their C60.  The only thing holding me back is Great Fermentation doesn’t have free shipping.

ha! I work there part time. I'm pretty sure that shipping is free on orders over 50 dollars (bags of grain and big/heavy things, excluded).

Sugar Creek has some intresting smoked malts, if you're into that. I just saw yesterday that they are working on a Brown diastatic malt.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2021, 06:48:19 pm »
Cool!  I didn’t know that. When I need a big order I’ll keep them in mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2021, 08:41:17 pm »
I’m a rebel. I use Briess Caramel 40 and 60. I have used the organic version also.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2021, 06:33:16 am »
I’m a rebel. I use Briess Caramel 40 and 60. I have used the organic version also.

I like Briess Caramel malts ... not sure what the fuss is about. Wouldn't be my first choice in an English style but for a smooth caramel flavor they are fine. Briess makes some nice malts.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2021, 07:12:16 am »
For a long time when I needed Crystal malt I would simply select Briess. Lately, I’ve found other maltsters that offer crystal malts and wanted to try them. No fuss really, just expanding my horizons.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2021, 07:26:21 am »
Totally agree ... lot's of great crystal malts out there. Briess seems rather one dimensional to me but sometimes that's what you want.

Offline hmbrw4life

• Cellarman
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2021, 07:28:34 am »
HSA and CSA mitigation methods also completely change the sensory effects of crystal malts as well. I.e less cloyingly sweet, and more malt enhancing, if using a broad brush.
Science functions when theory correctly predicts the results of experiments.
Six Sigma in a former life. Retired in the current life.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2021, 08:04:01 am »
If cloying sweetness is the tell tail of HSA/CSA I must be doing OK because I haven’t experienced either.

Offline hmbrw4life

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2021, 08:09:12 am »
If cloying sweetness is the tell tail of HSA/CSA I must be doing OK because I haven’t experienced either.

It's hard to put a direct finger on it, thats why I said broad brush. Could cloying be lack of attenuation, oxidation, to much cara malts, etc etc, sure it can.
Professional literature broadly states to make sure to keep under 12%. But who knows what that actually means. Because I know a few where those lines can be blurred. I think some folks here have the right idea a tool in a tool chest. I don't personally use a lot of these malts but my old school APA type beers usually have a decent amount (6-8%, ALA SNPA, and the like).
Science functions when theory correctly predicts the results of experiments.
Six Sigma in a former life. Retired in the current life.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2021, 08:27:59 am »
Most C malts in my recipes hover around 5-7%. I may go a bit over/under but that just me.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2021, 10:59:59 am »

It's hard to put a direct finger on it, thats why I said broad brush. Could cloying be lack of attenuation, oxidation, to much cara malts, etc etc, sure it can.
Professional literature broadly states to make sure to keep under 12%. But who knows what that actually means. Because I know a few where those lines can be blurred. I think some folks here have the right idea a tool in a tool chest. I don't personally use a lot of these malts but my old school APA type beers usually have a decent amount (6-8%, ALA SNPA, and the like).
I agree with all of this. For me, the limiting factor is simply the intensity of flavor coming from the C malts, rather than any inherent sweetness that they may or may not have. Too much, and it overpowers the beer. The darker the malt, the lower this limit tends to be.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer