Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Small Vessels capable of pressurized fermentation  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Eric Westlund

• 1st Kit
Small Vessels capable of pressurized fermentation
« on: April 23, 2021, 04:03:21 pm »
I'd like to try fermenting under pressure but I only want to brew small batches (2 or 3 gallons).  I have been looking at reasonably priced PET vessels that can be pressurized such as the various versions of the Fermzilla. I have read that it is not desirable to have a large amount of head space in the fermenter and the smallest pressure capable vessel I can find is in the 7 gallon range.  Is it a problem to ferment only 3 gallons in a 7 gallon vessel under pressure. If so, does anyone know of smaller pressure capable fermentation vessel.  Thanks.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Small Vessels capable of pressurized fermentation
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 05:31:34 pm »
A cornelius keg would work well, and they are readily available in 3 and 5 gallon sizes.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 06:03:30 pm »
I'd like to try fermenting under pressure but I only want to brew small batches (2 or 3 gallons).  I have been looking at reasonably priced PET vessels that can be pressurized such as the various versions of the Fermzilla. I have read that it is not desirable to have a large amount of head space in the fermenter and the smallest pressure capable vessel I can find is in the 7 gallon range.  Is it a problem to ferment only 3 gallons in a 7 gallon vessel under pressure. If so, does anyone know of smaller pressure capable fermentation vessel.  Thanks.

https://spikebrewing.com/pages/flex

This might fit the bill.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 11:14:57 am »
I use 5 gallon kegs as my fermenters for 3 gallon batches. I use them for both pressurized and non pressurized batches. They work great for me, especially now that I've started using a floating dip tube instead of the standard one. Aside from pressurized ferments, they also allow for spunding and closed transfers to your serving kegs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer