Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Substitute for Irish Moss??  (Read 3038 times)

Offline apack76

• 1st Kit
Substitute for Irish Moss??
« on: April 22, 2021, 03:46:10 pm »
Good afternoon!  I bought a pale ale kit from my local homebrew store.  I started to unpack it and the Irish Moss is missing.  I don't have any time to go back and get some.  I heard unflavored gelatin is a good substitute.  But I have no idea how much to put in, when to do it and a good name brand.  Help please.

Thanks!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Substitute for Irish Moss??
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 04:03:48 pm »
You can do without it if you have to, it just helps sink the gunk in your wort. Your finished beer may, or may not, be a little less clear and you will probably have more sediment in your fermenter. Taste will not be effected.
I think we have all made batches where we forgot it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline apack76

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 04:43:02 pm »
Thanks, Pete!  I've only been brewing for almost 4 months.  It's been a fun learning process.   

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 05:06:22 pm »
Good afternoon!  I bought a pale ale kit from my local homebrew store.  I started to unpack it and the Irish Moss is missing.  I don't have any time to go back and get some.  I heard unflavored gelatin is a good substitute.  But I have no idea how much to put in, when to do it and a good name brand.  Help please.

Thanks!

Gelatin is used post fermentation
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 06:54:12 pm »
If nothing else, time will do you good.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 07:03:31 pm »
I stopped using IM years ago. It helps drop out break material quickly from the boil. But other than that it doesn't seem to affect clarity as opposed to not using it. And my beers get as clear as I want them.

Offline apack76

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 02:24:08 am »
I stopped using IM years ago. It helps drop out break material quickly from the boil. But other than that it doesn't seem to affect clarity as opposed to not using it. And my beers get as clear as I want them.

Good to know.  I was thinking it was a necessity.  I'll have a backup using unflavored gelatin.   

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 05:03:48 am »

Good to know.  I was thinking it was a necessity.  I'll have a backup using unflavored gelatin.   
Gelatin is not a substitute for Irish Moss.  IM is used in the boil and gelatin is used after fermentation is complete.  You'll  be "fine" with neither.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Online BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 06:16:50 am »
Do you bottle or keg?  I am not sure how to use gelatin in a bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 06:50:12 am »
To be clear (no pun intended) German Brewers use neither gelatin post fermentation nor IrishMoss in the boil (if they want to stay reinheitsgebot compliant) and their beers turn out pretty darn clear -- course they may filter or centrifuge. As mentioned, gelatin isn't really a sub for IM they are used for two separate purposes. IM is a kettle fining and gelatin is a post fermentation fining. The best use for IM is to settle out hot break out of the beer. Arguably this is more important on all-grain than extract and if you hit you pH on AG you could argue it isn't important at all anyway.

If you do want to use the gelatin mix some up and pour it in the primary at the end of fermentation and gently swirl to disseminate and let it rest a few extra day (preferably cold).

Clarity is going to depend on a lot of factors and yeast choice will be one of the biggest factors. For instance, English yeasts will generally drop much more bright than German yeasts. But hazes can be issues as well. Usually hazes are flavorless.

I don't find a little haze a big detractor from a homebrew, personally.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 07:48:13 am by majorvices »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 08:51:15 am »
To be clear (no pun intended) German Brewers use neither gelatin post fermentation nor IrishMoss in the boil (if they want to stay reinheitsgebot compliant) and their beers turn out pretty darn clear -- course they may filter or centrifuge. As mentioned, gelatin isn't really a sub for IM they are used for two separate purposes. IM is a kettle fining and gelatin is a post fermentation fining. The best use for IM is to settle out hot break out of the beer. Arguably this is more important on all-grain than extract and if you hit you pH on AG you could argue it isn't important at all anyway.

If you do want to use the gelatin mix some up and pour it in the primary at the end of fermentation and gently swirl to disseminate and let it rest a few extra day (preferably cold).

Clarity is going to depend on a lot of factors and yeast choice will be one of the biggest factors. For instance, English yeasts will generally drop much more bright than German yeasts. But hazes can be issues as well. Usually hazes are flavorless.

In was under the impression that as long as something doesn't end up in the beer, it's Rgebot compliant.  Which means IM would be OK.  Is that not the case?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 09:11:44 am »
Do you bottle or keg?  I am not sure how to use gelatin in a bottle.
When bottling the gelatin is added before cold crashing so it had done its work before the beer is transferred from the fermenter into the bottles.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Online BrewBama

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 09:14:35 am »
Ah. Makes sense.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 09:21:37 am »

In was under the impression that as long as something doesn't end up in the beer, it's Rgebot compliant.  Which means IM would be OK.  Is that not the case?

A quick search came up with this:

"The revised Vorläufiges Biergesetz (Provisional Beer Law) of 1993, which replaced the earlier regulations, is a slightly expanded version of the Reinheitsgebot, stipulating that only water, malted barley, hops and yeast be used for any bottom-fermented beer brewed in Germany. In addition, the law allows the use of powdered or ground hops and hop extracts, as well as stabilization and fining agents such as PVPP. Top-fermented beer is subject to the same rules, with the addition that a wider variety of malted grains can be used, as well as pure sugars for flavor and coloring."

So I don't know if that applied to IM or gelatin. I would think not with IM since if you use too much you can taste it. Gelatin certainly isn't vegan.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 09:25:09 am »
To be clear (no pun intended) German Brewers use neither gelatin post fermentation nor IrishMoss in the boil (if they want to stay reinheitsgebot compliant) and their beers turn out pretty darn clear -- course they may filter or centrifuge.

I am not knowledgeable about German brewing practices, but I do have a copy of Technology Brewing & Malting by Kunze, and he does specifically state that the use of silica sol preparations (what would be available to us as Biofine Clear or Silafine) to improve clarity and filterability of the beer is in accordance with the Reinheitsgebot.  And he goes on for several pages about how they are to be used.

I don't believe he specifically states that PVPP is Reinheitsgebot compliant, but it's heavily implied (and he does note in contrast that PVP, being water soluble, is not permitted).  He does spend a few pages discussing how it can be used for stabilization and binding of polyphenols.  Interestingly, it can be regenerated with a hot caustic wash and reused. 

There's a fair bit of info about filtering as well.  Check out the intensity of this flow chart:

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC